Utah BBQ Forums
SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Other Meat Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison (/showthread.php?tid=1019)

SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison - elkski - 09-01-2009 02:28 PM

reading the thread on pork tenderloins got me thinking about doing one of my elk t loins. Only 1 left from last weeks elk.
The trouble is they are very lean and small. They are about 12" long and only 2" dia and the ends really taper down so it is hard to cook them any way other than medallion steaks. IMHO.

Re: SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison - PackerBacker - 09-01-2009 02:46 PM

elkski;p="18665 Wrote:reading the thread on pork tenderloins got me thinking about doing one of my elk t loins. Only 1 left from last weeks elk.
The trouble is they are very lean and small. They are about 12" long and only 2" dia and the ends really taper down so it is hard to cook them any way other than medallion steaks. IMHO.

Butterfly the badboy into 3/4" to 1" steaks and grill'm. Big Grin To nice a cut of meat to go Low and Slow

Re: SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison - Three4Que - 09-01-2009 08:11 PM

Wrap a bit of bacon around the tenderloin for moisture, use either small chunks of favorite wood, cherry, apple and even Alder work. Watch the amount of Alder as it can be strong.

Smoked venison, elk, buffalo and antelope are all good. You'll have to watch your temp real close so you don't over cook that lovely Tenderloin.

- afrazier5 - 09-07-2009 09:03 PM

Sounds awesome - my boy fell in love with elk meat after a trip a few years back to Rodizzio's. Where can we find elk locally? I'd like to treat him to some good elk steaks (providing his grades stay good)...

Re: SMoking game meat!!! ELK, MT goat, Bison, Venison - Gene - 09-10-2009 07:42 PM

Up in the mountains. :roll: Oh, you gotta a permit btw. LOL It is good eats. had a few myself that I harvested back when.