Utah BBQ Forums
Best Thermometer? - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Tips, Tricks, and Helpful Hints (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Best Thermometer? (/showthread.php?tid=1040)

Best Thermometer? - afrazier5 - 08-23-2009 06:45 PM

I've been doing research on the UDS for several months now. I've seen a number of guys (and gals) who use the standard stick type thermometer to monitor their drums. I'm a guy from the digital age and really like the accuracy of the digital ones. I'm curious what brands of digitials work the best for both chamber and meat temps? I did buy a Taylor brand one from Lowes several weeks back but with poor results. The package didn't indicate what the max temp was and unfortunately will only give me meat temps. It does that part good but I don't think it will last all that long due to the rubberized probe cord.

I'm really open to everyone's thoughts on this!

- SoEzzy - 08-23-2009 09:03 PM

Lots of folks on other boards use the Maverick 73, but I've seen reports of them being a little silly on where the switch is, (inside the battery cover), and also that the switch can be a touch fragile too.

I'm back in the analog age, at $5- $6 for a Turkey Fryer thermometer and $50 or so for a digital, I'll be staying old school for a while! :wink:

Re: Best Thermometer? - PackerBacker - 08-26-2009 07:38 AM

If your looking for a temp gauge for the pit temps on the UDS I highly recommend the 4" stemmed AshCroft found at Grainger Industrial Supply.

Dave

Re: Best Thermometer? - Guest - 08-26-2009 09:55 AM

I have a Tel-Tru UT-300 (6" stem) in each of my drums and I could not be happier. They are both within maybe 1* of each other when the drums are sitting out in the sun unlit. They've been incredibly accurate and dependable.

FYI - You will need the installation kit.

John