Utah BBQ Forums
Bite Me - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Chicken & Poultry Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Thread: Bite Me (/showthread.php?tid=1043)

Bite Me - rdenn_58 - 08-22-2009 06:37 PM

Hey All,

I am having troubles with getting bite through skin on chicken thighs. I have tried a couple methods without success. The skin comes off with the first or second bite and is somewhat chewy. Any suggestions?

Rich

- SoEzzy - 08-23-2009 02:24 PM

Marinade or brine your chicken first then cook at 275 or above!

- afrazier5 - 08-23-2009 06:39 PM

I just did my first attempt at thighs tonight on the UDS. I brined it with a mixture of salt, sweets and earthy spices for around 3 hours. I put it on about 2:30 this afternoon but kept the UDS at around 250 most of the time. I had the same chewy results as Rich.

In talking with the guys at RnR and sampling some as well, this is a fairly common problem. I too would be curious to see how others have fought and won this apparent common battle.

Re: Bite Me - rdenn_58 - 08-23-2009 07:43 PM

Thanks Chris for the help!!!! I will give it a try on the next go 'round. When you do this method, is the skin crunchy?

- SoEzzy - 08-23-2009 08:55 PM

Not crunchy at all, but it has become bite through and it's as if it isn't there. (But it is)!

Some folks cook it at a lower temperature and "finish the skin on a hot grill", or they've learned a different technique I've not heard of yet.

Re: Bite Me - sampson - 08-24-2009 11:15 AM

It is my experience that if you want crisp, bite thru skin, you will need to finish with lots of heat...