Utah BBQ Forums
Hey y'all - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Wild West Debacle 09 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Hey y'all (/showthread.php?tid=1278)

Hey y'all - Swine-O - 05-30-2009 03:57 PM

I'm a transplant to SLC, moved here about a year ago from Memphis, TN. I've been an avid BBQ eater and a BBQer of the backyard variety for quite a while. Never done any competition cooking myself, but I've been to alot of them over the years. Now that I'm in a spot where there's not a BBQ joint on every corner, and can't go to a friend/neighbor's cookout every other weekend, I'm getting a little more serious about my own Qing. Looking forward to the interaction here.

Re: Hey y'all - Cyclops - 05-30-2009 08:04 PM

Welcom Swine-O! I think you will find we are just a bunch of good old boys (and girls)That simply share a love of BBQ. We talk a lot of "smack" but it is all good. (Except for that darn Sampson! You can't believe a word he says) It seems like we all bring a little to the table, and I know for me, I always take a tidbit of information home with me! Competitor or not, as they say in your old neighborhood, All,Ya'll are wecome here!

Re: Hey y'all - Swine-O - 05-30-2009 08:49 PM

Cyclops,
Thank you kind sir. My real name's Kevin. I moved my wife and two-year old son out here with me for work last year. Like I said, I've never really done any competition cooking, but it's an itch I'm going to prolly have to scratch sooner or later. I have friends who used to do the Memphis In May competition every year, and I'd go hang out down there and have a blast. To be honest, I grew up going to cookouts where the cooks (all family or close friends of the family) were pretty damn competitive in their own right. I've done a couple of smokes this spring so far... shoulder and baby backs both times. I have an offset firebox set up, just a Chargriller I bought at Lowe's not too long ago. Still tweaking it to get it so I don't have to use so much fuel, and to try to get it to hold a little more consistently. It's not a professional rig of course, but it's suiting my backyard purposes and I've done pretty well with it, though it's taken a little more work than I'd like.

Anyway, glad to find some like minded folks here. I started looking into the Grill on the Hill that I'd heard about up at Snowbird, and found this place in my google-ing. I'll be downloading a registration form for the Utah BBQ Association and sending off a check soon!

Re: Hey y'all - Cyclops - 05-30-2009 09:38 PM

Great! Try and make Snowbird. It is a fun cook in a beautiful place. You will find that any of the cooks will help you at anytime, (except during turn-ins and then they get a little "snippy") To my way of thinking "It ain't the arrow.... It's the indian" that counts. I have learned that the cook that knows the cooker better than the other guy is usually the grand champion, or at least takes many walks during awards. On the other hand, the guy that won the Idaho State Championships four years ago, bought a WSM at Lowe's the day of the cook for something to do that weekend with his daughters. I guess it boils down to "On any Sunday!!"

- Flexo - 05-30-2009 09:59 PM

You can also come out on June 5-6 to the Utah State fair grounds and visit us. We will be at the Wild West BBQ Showdown. There is also a backyard division that will be cooking on June 6th

Re: Hey y'all - Swine-O - 05-30-2009 10:07 PM

Thanks, guys! Well, I'm definitely not ready to cook in one yet, I have a few things I need to work on just yet. Next weekend I'm going to be on vacation in San Diego with the family, or I'd definitely make it down there.. Just bad timing on that. For the Snowbird comp, I plan on coming and looking around and knocking back a few beers for sure.

Re: Hey y'all - Three4Que - 05-31-2009 12:22 AM

Welcome to the group Kevin. You could always try your hand at being a Certified BBQ Judge. There should be a class sometime this year. I haven't heard of when they have one planned, but it would be fun for you, you get to try some good que and after 3 hours once you are certified asa judge you'll get the opportunity to eat some great Que at the Competitions.

Doug

Re: Hey y'all - Grill Sargent - 05-31-2009 02:26 AM

AHHH...TENTION.....Swine-O..... Big Grin

Welcome to the group....I've got to say that these are the best bunch of guys & GALS....(don't want to get in trouble)...I've been grillin and smokin for a long time and thought I was doing good....then I went back to school here at UTBBQ 101 and learned better.......so no question is lame....they have the answers....And you have moved me from the new kid on the block....Thank you....and again welcome...... :lol:

Grill Sargent.....aka....Bill

Re: Hey y'all - Hintzes Hog - 05-31-2009 08:11 AM

Welcome Swine-O, We found these guys and gals the same way (looking to get info on Grill on the Hill) ... I can tell you from experience you will find this group to be one of your best references for anything Q.. And a few things that aren't. :shock: Again Welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions. These folks know it all.

Re: Hey y'all - PackerBacker - 05-31-2009 09:05 AM

Welcome aboard Kevin!!! The BBQ "family" is the best group of people, every time we have a competition its like a reunion of sorts Smile Be sure to stop by at Snowbird

Dave

Re: Hey y'all - hossrocks - 05-31-2009 01:28 PM

Welcome brother!! As everyone has said already there are alot of seasoned comp cooks here to help ya move into the addiction of competitive cooking. This site is like BBQ Anonymous! Hi my name is Hoss and I'm addicted to BBQ! :evil:

- Swine-O - 05-31-2009 05:41 PM

Thanks, all, for the hospitality. I look forward to hopefully meeting a lot of you, if not all!

Re: Hey y'all - bwinther - 05-31-2009 09:02 PM

Another big welcome. My family and I are transplanted from Seattle (which really only knows fish) so didn't have much in regards to BBQ. Got down here and started cooking and then competiting. It is great fun. Post questions, come hang out at the comps and learn everything you can. It is a great family time. My 6 yr old has already cooked his first rack of ribs. He was mad because I picked them up to look at the underside. Oh well. Again, welcom and have a great time.

Brian

Re: Hey y'all - Guest - 05-31-2009 10:35 PM

Welcome to our little BBQ insane asylum! Keep asking questions, but don't listen to any advice that mentions celery salt. Don't worry, it'll make more sense later. :wink:

John

Re: Hey y'all - Three4Que - 06-01-2009 11:05 AM

Brian, is your 6 yr old your only kid? My 6yr old son enjoys putting the rubs on and is looking forward to cooking his first time.