Utah BBQ Forums
Cooking the huge brisket. - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Beef & Burger Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Thread: Cooking the huge brisket. (/showthread.php?tid=1391)

Cooking the huge brisket. - Frankenswine - 04-10-2009 06:56 PM

I got a late start today and didn't get it on until around 10:30. So I thought it wouldn't get done until late. But to my surprise after only 7 hours the flat was at 193. I should come off here in the nect few minutes after about 8 1/2 hours total. Here are a few pics.

After the first turn.

[Image: brisket002.jpg]

The BDS holding steady at 250

[Image: NewImage.jpg]

193 after only 7 hours.

[Image: NewImage2.jpg]

[Image: NewImage3.jpg]

Pulled after 8 1/2 hours and rested for an hour before slicing.

[Image: IMG_7139.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7138.jpg]

Doug

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - bwinther - 04-11-2009 09:59 AM

Wow Doug. That looks good. It is only 9am in Spokane (where I am visiting) and I already want to eat some brisket. Nice job with that chunk of meat.

Brian

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - norm - 04-11-2009 12:30 PM

Wow,
Looks great Doug. You conquered Brisketzilla Big Grin . Any theory on why it cooked that fast? I just want to get inside the mind of the brisket and find out why individuality is so important to them, why can't they just play nice and get along well with other briskets?

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - mjerdmann - 04-11-2009 04:53 PM

That looks abslutely amazing. Thanks so much for sharing.

- SoEzzy - 04-11-2009 07:09 PM

It tasted pretty good too, I got a nibble from the monster today... no I'm not calling love2grill a monster!

- Dutchovendude - 04-12-2009 09:10 AM

Nice looking brisket Doug!

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - Three4Que - 08-15-2009 11:28 PM

What size brisket was this Doug? Was it a packer or flat? I picked up a real nice looking packer from a place nearby , 11.71lb for 2.19/lb was thinking of smoking it on the WSM tonight but ran out of time.

Maybe I'll start it Thiursday night and bring some for the potluck at Rock n Ribs.

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - Grill Sargent - 08-16-2009 01:40 AM

Doug....that brisket really looks great....I've done 3 so far.....and I have had to go longer then 8 hours......Please.....what's your secret..... Sad Sad Sad .....And in the words of Sampson......I'd hit that.!!!!!

- IQ - 08-16-2009 08:05 PM

BEAUTY! I only wish I was at your house when that baby came off.

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - Frankenswine - 08-17-2009 05:18 PM

That was the flat from a whole packer that I picked up at Sams. It was just over 21 lbs. As for the cook time, the BDS generally cooks things faster because of the convection type cooking it does.I was still surprised that it didn't take longer to get to temp.

Doug

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - Jaybird - 08-17-2009 05:36 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that you are cooking alot hotter than 250 degrees.
The thermometer you are going by has a short stem and is really not giving you the temp in the center of your barrel where all the heat is. Combine this and the fact that you are cooking directly over the coals is the reason for such a short cook. Sure does look tasty. You did a good job. Love my BDS's.

Re: Cooking the huge brisket. - sampson - 08-19-2009 09:54 AM

Looks great Doug! And Sarge is right, I'd hit that!!! I agree with Jaybird on the reason it cooked so quick, maybe it says something for hot and fast cooking...