Utah BBQ Forums
never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Wild West Debacle 09 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. (/showthread.php?tid=1486)

never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - drapersmoke - 03-17-2009 08:54 AM

I have three grills a brinkman grill king a backyard professional and a bullet smoker. do i need anything bigger? how much meat will i need to expect to cook?
do i have to vend to the public?

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - sampson - 03-17-2009 10:21 AM

To answer one of your questions, "how much meat will I need to cook?", most BBQ cookoffs are the same in that they want chicken, ribs, pork butt and brisket. You need to provide six identifiable portions for the judging. That is the KCBS way and most follow those rules, though there are plenty of exceptions. I personally cook about 18 thighs, 3-4 racks of ribs, two butts and two briskets...

As for other advice I think you should do some searches on this site, go to the KCBS site or try some of our member sites such as PatioDaddio's for some basics...

But maybe the best advice I can give is to tell you to just do it! Don't wait 'til you think you have everything perfected. Go to a couple of contests just to learn. The upcoming event at the fairgrounds will have a backyard division, perfect for a new guy...

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - SoEzzy - 03-17-2009 10:24 AM

drapersmoke;p="14779 Wrote:I have three grills a brinkman grill king a backyard professional and a bullet smoker. do i need anything bigger? how much meat will i need to expect to cook?
do i have to vend to the public?

As long as your pits are charcoal or wood fired they'll be OK, you probably won't need anything bigger, but I'll bet you'll want something bigger before long.

Amount of meat to cook, if you cooked the minimum, it would include, 1 x 5lb + pork shoulder cut for the pulled pork, 1 x brisket or brisket flat, 1 rack of ribs, and enough chicken to cut 6 portions for the judges.

In reality, being better safe than sorry could make that, 2 butts, 2 biskets, 3 racks of ribs, and enough chicken to cut 6 portions for the judges, a pack of Tyson chicken thighs hos 15 - 16 thighs, that would be enough.

You don't have to vend or even offer samples to the public! (There are some competitions that encourage peoples choice awards, and if you don't participate in the peoples choice it doesn't count against you for the competition awards.

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - T - 03-17-2009 12:42 PM

Yo, as I stated earlier, the contest has not been a go yet. We were just trying to see if there was enough interest between the teams. I spoke to the responsible individual earlier today and discussed the interest between the teams. A meeting will be held Monday to find out more. I also spoke with Danny today of Rib City and they want in. Don't know how this contest will be run if any, but let me tell you my experience in 2000 against the Reno cats. First of all it looks like it will just be local teams vending as far as I know. It was titled The Great Western Rib Fest and that's what we did ,sold ribs, ribs, ribs. The public came to your booth and bought a rib sample plate which the public could put a ballot in towards the people's choice award. For the critics choice, at a designated time on Saturday, a runner would show up at your both and collect your turn in of ribs for this particular entry. The entry would then be taken to be judged by selected judges, and the winners of the categories,to be announced later that day. We also vended pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, beans and you vend no drinks. I will say this and you can take it for what it's worth, if you have no vending experience stay away. You will definitely be busy. This was my experience in 2000
to the best of my recollection. I guess all we can do now is wait for the decision to be yea or nay?

- drapersmoke - 03-17-2009 11:07 PM

thanks for the replys . i will try with what i have and thats good barbque. when is the thig at the fairgrounds and how do i sign up?

- Flexo - 03-18-2009 08:07 AM

There will be an official announcement with links to the entry forms and rules etc.... Just keep checking the site for the info.

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - Guest - 03-18-2009 02:06 PM

I think Brother Sampson was talking about the Fair Grounds, not the E Center Pioneer Days? Is there info out about the Fair Grounds event or is it too late?

Stoneman

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - Pegleg - 03-18-2009 02:41 PM

This is for the 1st Annual Wild West Showdown which is in conjunction with the Utah Outdoors Expo at the Utah State Fairgrounds June 5th and 6th. We are just finishing up the team application for the sanctioned part of the comp and will be posted by this weekend; I'm just waiting on a few minor details to be ironed out that need to be included on the main entry form. The app for the backyard division should be out hopefully in the next week or so.

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - mjerdmann - 03-18-2009 04:39 PM

its not my fault.

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - crashpilot - 04-02-2009 09:51 AM

T;p="14791 Wrote:I will say this and you can take it for what it's worth, if you have no vending experience stay away. You will definitely be busy. This was my experience in 2000 to the best of my recollection. I guess all we can do now is wait for the decision to be yea or nay?

T,

It sounds like there were still quite a few details to be worked out when you wrote this. Knowing what you now now, is this still your recommendation? I have no vending experience and don't want to get caught into something I'm completely unprepared for.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - T - 04-02-2009 02:33 PM

Yo Sean, I would strongly advise you not to attempt to even try this for a lot of reasons, mainly monies and the lost of. Vending sounds fun, and for the most part it can be especially if you are a people person. Even if you have vending experience it's tough to estimate how much food to buy and prepare. If you would like to call me off the forum I will go further into dept with you about it. My recommendation for you at this point in time is stay away, just me being honest about your question to me, hope this helps?

Re: never competed in a comp. would like advice about it. - crashpilot - 04-02-2009 04:21 PM

T,

Thanks for setting me straight. I sincerely appreciate your candor!!

I've got ZERO interest in vending. LOL

Sean