Utah BBQ Forums
American BBQ hits Philippine shores - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: "Here's how I would do it..." (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: American BBQ hits Philippine shores (/showthread.php?tid=2231)

American BBQ hits Philippine shores - Brian - 04-04-2008 11:15 AM

I just got back from the Philippines where I was visiting my in-laws. We often give them updates on our BBQ exploits, causing them to often voice a desire to taste the results. Because I can’t bring meat to the Philippines I did the next best thing, I brought a WSM with me as a gift for them.

Charcoal was a real challenge since briquettes don’t exist. The only option is charcoal (called uling in the native tongue of my wife) made by hand and sold in small 1 kilo bags. However, a local “salesmanâ€

Re: American BBQ hits Philippine shores - rjr23 - 04-04-2008 12:00 PM

That is awesome Brian. I don't know if I have told you but my wife is a 1/4 filippino.

- Jeff - 04-05-2008 09:37 AM

Wow, that food looks great!
I'm sure it was a real treat for them to have some good American BBQ.

Re: American BBQ hits Philippine shores - T - 04-05-2008 11:22 AM

Yo Brian, as we spoke yesterday at the restaurant I did not have a chance to see the pictures yet, but today I did and good job bro. The girls are cute as well. More helpl for Dragon Smoke. 2 weeks went by fast bro, and all of this time I thought that you went over there to learn some of there pork techniques to use in competition LOL. Thanks for the quality time yesterday.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->

ell can't wait for them to get here, I know Nelly will be happy

Re: American BBQ hits Philippine shores - tex-mex / Idaho - 04-05-2008 06:32 PM

Great pics, final presentation looked awesome.......where was the Lumpia??

tex-mex :?:

Question

Re: American BBQ hits Philippine shores - Brian - 04-06-2008 12:01 PM

T,

Thanks for the help with photo additions to the posts. As you can see now I got them inside the post.

As for the quality time, anytime my friend, time spent with good friends is never wasted time.

Yes, we are more than tired of the delays we keep being given in the process to get them here with Nelly.

I would love to have brought back some secrets if they were to be found, but since the #1 cooking method in the Philippines is to fry the life out of everything, there wasn't much to bring back. On the other side of the coin, if hot oil was allowed in the contests I would be an ace now because they fry things we would not think of, like whole frogs stuffed with sausage and fried to a golden brown. Whole fish (truly whole head, tail, fins, innards) minus the scales dropped in hot oil and cooked until the whole fish is crunchy like potato chips. So no, there were no secrets discovered. I gave up far more cooking info than I gained.

As for the Lumpia, we ate them while waiting for the 8 hours to go by while the pork cooked.