Utah BBQ Forums
White tail Deer Smoking????? - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Other Meat Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: White tail Deer Smoking????? (/showthread.php?tid=2659)

White tail Deer Smoking????? - elkski - 05-14-2007 10:06 AM

Well I tried to thaw out some wild hog and venison to cook on mothers day but I should have put it in the fridge on thurs instead of fri.
The whole deer hind was the slowest to thaw. IT was still frozen as I cut it off the bone today to make steaks and a rump roast and some scrap meat.
I could have rushed the backstrap/loins and a quartered small hog. I left the bone in these turkey quarter sized chunks.
I put some rub on the hog and deer strap/loins to smoke on the WSM for dinner tonight. I can't wait.
My question deals with the hind quarter I took out this morning for thursday.
Does anyone know the best way to cook this whole thing bone in? or should I remove the bone? Will it be to dry?
I could also just butcher it up like the one today. We enjoy the deer steaks and a rump roast in the crock pot. I save the scraps to mix with pork scraps. buts that another thread.
Back in my Texas days the guys and I used to just put a whole hind quarter on the brinkman using whole mesquite. I am affraid we didn't mind dry meat after a few days out hunting like the family would now.

Re: White tail Deer Smoking????? - elkski - 05-14-2007 02:27 PM

How come I cant paste with the right click?????

I found a link on barbequen.com but You cant expect a guy to gype it all out... it was for basically baking a venison hind quarter in a gas grill.

Re: White tail Deer Smoking????? - Tayster - 05-14-2007 02:48 PM

Just highlight the passage and hit "CTRL C" to copy it then come back here and "CTRL V" to paste.

Re: White tail Deer Smoking????? - Gene - 05-14-2007 03:16 PM

Just slice it in 1/4" thick strips and make jerky. I haven't seen your posts lately. You been hiding out or what?
Ya coming up to Hyrum to the BBQ contest this weekend?
Gene

- elkski - 05-14-2007 09:02 PM

Well I messed up.. Usually these back straps make fine butterfly steaks. merinade them 8 hours in some seasoning and italian dressing and a quick med rare cook on the grill.
But I put these fine backstraps on the smoker and ran some errands and in 1 1/2 holur I had them up to 165 about 25 degrees to much and they have dried out.
I put them in foil and will try to juice them up somehow.
I better go check the four hog quarters.
I still have the t-loins. I was going to smoke them for about 30 minutes and then skewer them with some bacon and broil the bacon on them and serve up.
Yes I have been busy. A little house remodel and getting the cellar full.
THings turned out ok.
You have to expect tough for wild game. the t-loins were smoked to 88 degrees for about 20 mins and then chilled to cook on the grill at med/high.
I got distracted in the garden with friends and cooked the first side a little bit much.
I leaned on them hard to please the folks and went past med rare like it should be. we ate the small pig quarters like barbarians.