Utah BBQ Forums
Internal Temp on a turkey???? - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Chicken & Poultry Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Thread: Internal Temp on a turkey???? (/showthread.php?tid=2899)

Internal Temp on a turkey???? - PackerBacker - 11-21-2006 06:42 PM

Hey all! I have a bird on the WSM, and no temp probes, any helpful hints or "Tricks" to check if it done??? other than slicing it open? Hey T you did 10 birds yesterday, any tips :?:

turkey temp - Gene - 11-21-2006 06:50 PM

The liquid should be clear in the leg- thigh area and the leg joint should move freely.

- PackerBacker - 11-21-2006 07:21 PM

What do mean freely

- Guest - 11-21-2006 09:21 PM

Dave - I don't screw around with big birds as they are dangerous. One bad trip to "The Danger Zone" can ruin your whole week. This ain't no Tom Cruise movie. Big Grin

Smoke Tom at 280*-300* and pull him when the center of the thigh hits 160*. Carry-over cooking will add another 5* and he'll be perfect. I also baste my birds with an equal mixture of apple juice, beer and butter with 1 Tbsp of your favorite rub per batch (i.e. 1 Tbsp per cup of apple juice).

Hope this helps,
John

- SoEzzy - 11-21-2006 10:24 PM

PackerBacker Wrote:What do mean freely

If you remove the leg truss, then take hold of the end of the drumstick, if you lift the drum stick, when the bird is cooked the hip and knee will move and return to their starting place without any force being applied.

If you have to force it, don't, just stop and give it another 20 minutes then try again.

If you have to force it then 1) it is not cooked yet or 2) you forgot to remove the leg truss.

The other way is to prick the joint at the hip and see if the liquid runs clear, if it is still pink it is not cooked all the way yet.

The other two questions are: -
1) What was the weight of the bird?
2) What temp are you cooking at?

- PackerBacker - 11-21-2006 10:34 PM

"T" do you have any thoughts on this subject? And for the rest that have posted, thanks The Bird came out just fine, If i were able, i would "Shake all of your hands" :wink: T

I know, I know, Im bad!!

PACKERBACKER

- T - 11-22-2006 12:15 AM

Yo Dave, glad your birds came out fine next time try slapping it five, if it gives you five back, it's not done bro. Sometimes you gotta go old school on them birds. You gotta love it man. If I knew how to post the pictures of the birds I would. Good kicking it with ya last night bro?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->

- PackerBacker - 11-22-2006 07:28 AM

T you have a private message :lol:

PackerBacker

- Gumbo - 11-22-2006 09:04 AM

T, you're killin' me. Now everyone else in the office here is wondering why I'm laughing so hard.

Packersmacker, read Danny Gaulden's turkey tips page, http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=78, where he talks about "shaking hands with the turkey". Though I like T's method more.

I agree with 165 as the internal temp.

I've got mine brining right now. I'll smoke it tomorrow morning.

T's Turkey gallery - DOBBQ - 11-22-2006 10:39 AM

Here is a pic from T's Turkeys.

[Image: normal_Lovedit.JPG]

- Botch - 11-22-2006 11:29 AM

Yum, those look good!

Saw in the newspaper just yesterday that the FDA lowered their "recommended" internal temperature for turkey from 180 degrees to 165, maybe they've got some smokers on the staff now too.

- Guest - 11-22-2006 02:47 PM

No - those look damn good!!... And I bet those folks at the firestations sure enjoyed them as well... 8)

- PackerBacker - 11-22-2006 03:09 PM

Gumbo Wrote:T, you're killin' me. Now everyone else in the office here is wondering why I'm laughing so hard.

Packersmacker, read Danny Gaulden's turkey tips page, http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=78, where he talks about "shaking hands with the turkey". Though I like T's method more.

I agree with 165 as the internal temp.

I've got mine brining right now. I'll smoke it tomorrow morning.

I new I could get someone to fess- up :lol: Gumbo,T told me the story but wouldn't tell me who! I myself didn't know the trick, but i admitted i didnt, just a friendly laugh we had.

Was that a type-o above or you gett'n back at me? :wink:

PACKERBACKER BBQ

- Gumbo - 11-22-2006 03:59 PM

PackerBacker Wrote:
Gumbo Wrote:Was that a type-o above or you gett'n back at me? :wink:
PACKERBACKER BBQ

Sorry man, I'm a Cowboys fan. Smile

- PackerBacker - 11-22-2006 04:41 PM

I'm sorry too :lol:

- DOBBQ - 11-23-2006 09:41 AM

Here is 10 Big Ones for you T.

[Image: normal_10BIGONES.JPG]

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

- T - 11-23-2006 11:44 AM

Thanks Joe of Dutch Oven BBQ for posting the pictures of the Turkeys. I will have to get with you one day, and maybe you can hip me to the process of posting pictures. Come by one day next week I've got some hot sauce for ya! Thanks again.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->