Utah BBQ Forums
Wood piles - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Tips, Tricks, and Helpful Hints (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Wood piles (/showthread.php?tid=3436)

Wood piles - SoEzzy - 03-13-2011 03:11 PM

It has come to my attention that interest is being taken in how we store our wood used for smoking at home as well as at competitions etc.

The wood pile where you dumped out the logs from your truck or trailer, is considered an eye saw and a health hazard apparently, so with warmer days upon us it's time to take a little action to improve things.

The pile that has sat there all wanter needs to be lifted off the ground and stacked neatly, to reduce the hiding places for rodents and snakes, so take a little care and don't go at it bare handed and get yourself bit!

It is recommended to have 8" - 10" of free space between the bottom of the wood and the ground, don't stack against the side of a building leave an air space there too or you may get moisture damage to the building.

Put anchor posts in at the ends, and run a couple of 2" x 6" between concrete blocks to create the air space underneath, cut your logs as long as you want and then split them into suitable sized 'splits', stack the first layer end to end along your base boards, pushing down to make as flat a bottom layer as you can, continue to stack the splits, in even rows, stop when you get to 5' or so.

You can cover the stacks if you want to, but even with a layer of snow, your wood will maintain a fairly even moisture content, with free passage for air flow under and around the stack.

If you have more wood than will fit in one stack, build another stack in front or to the side of the first stack.

This is all good advise to make wood stacks easier to work around, and less likely to annoy the neighborhood busy bodies and get you reported for your wood keeping habits!

RE: Wood piles - crashpilot - 03-14-2011 08:43 AM

(03-13-2011 03:11 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  It has come to my attention that interest is being taken in how we store our wood used for smoking at home as well as at competitions etc.

Thanks for the info Chris. I'm just wondering how has this has come to your attention. Who is concerned about my wood?

RE: Wood piles - SoEzzy - 03-14-2011 10:04 AM

The local councils round here have their watchdogs, to enforce all the other rules, scrap cars, junk, etc. and supposedly there may be health department concerns because of rodent problems, this is more a front of house or visible from the road sort of problem but for those that have lots of wood, better forewarned and forearmed!

RE: Wood piles - crashpilot - 03-14-2011 10:42 AM

Ahhh, Gotcha...
I get the picture. Thanks!

RE: Wood piles - SoEzzy - 03-14-2011 02:02 PM

You're welcome!

RE: Wood piles - Larry Jacobs - 03-14-2011 11:17 PM

Thank you Chris. I hadn't realized how lackadaisical I had become in my BBQ wood stacking regiment. I am now truly proud of my wood stack as I'm sure my neighbors are also truly proud of me being truly proud.

RE: Wood piles - vbtjvt - 03-15-2011 07:54 AM

(03-14-2011 11:17 PM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  Thank you Chris. I hadn't realized how lackadaisical I had become in my BBQ wood stacking regiment. I am now truly proud of my wood stack as I'm sure my neighbors are also truly proud of me being truly proud.

LOL, Nice neat pile larry

RE: Wood piles - SoEzzy - 03-15-2011 08:47 AM

I hate to nit pick Larry, but a whole lot of those logs are not lined up neatly, I fear you will be liable if they catch you!