Utah BBQ Forums
Cleaning smoker - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Tips, Tricks, and Helpful Hints (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Cleaning smoker (/showthread.php?tid=4244)

Cleaning smoker - Pigout - 05-21-2012 07:58 PM

Needing to clean my smoker, looking for a good product to clean the exterior - black cast iron...any suggestionsHuh

RE: Cleaning smoker - Larry Jacobs - 05-21-2012 10:06 PM

Your smoker was casted from cast iron?

RE: Cleaning smoker - Pigout - 05-22-2012 06:04 AM

(05-21-2012 10:06 PM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  Your smoker was casted from cast iron?

Not quite sure, what do you use to wipe and clean the outside? After having the smoker a a couple of months and completing a few long cooks, I've got some grease and splatter runs that look horrible. I'd like to find a product that won't ruin the finish, but does a good job. Remember Larry I'm a rookie...Undecided

RE: Cleaning smoker - T - 05-22-2012 10:45 AM

Yo, I have been using Simply Green for years both on my commercial smokers and my recreational smokers. It is a good all-purpose cleaner and environmentally safe. I have also used a cleaner from the dollar stores called Aw some that does a good job as well. Hope this helps?

RE: Cleaning smoker - Pigout - 05-22-2012 05:08 PM

Thanks T, I just happen to have that Aw some cleaner at home. Thanks again for the tip. Smile

RE: Cleaning smoker - Brdprey - 07-16-2012 09:28 AM

if you dont want to go to the car wash, the harbor freight power washer is not to bad for the price. got decent pressure, cleans decks real nice to.

RE: Cleaning smoker - Big Johnson's BBQ - 07-16-2012 10:48 AM

T- which Simple Green do you use...?

RE: Cleaning smoker - imfree2q - 07-16-2012 01:57 PM

Yes simple green works well... citrol works good as well..

RE: Cleaning smoker - Big Johnson's BBQ - 07-16-2012 02:15 PM

I think this might be better then using the industrial stuff from Sams... It takes the paint off!

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_bbq_grill_trigger.php

RE: Cleaning smoker - elkski - 07-23-2012 05:44 PM

TSP cleans the grease off of a grill tables and sides fairly well.... using a scrubbie and lots of elbow grease... gave my my weber gaser its yearly bath today. I just scrape the insides with a putty knife and the grates go in the sink for about 30 min scrape each side and then crisco and burn it all in...
cleaned my WSM's today and ran a load of coals through them...

RE: Cleaning smoker - TheDesertMagnolia - 07-23-2012 09:39 PM

On a daily basis we use dish soap and a quat sanitizer. We fill buckets of it and keep it near the smoker to clean as we go. deep cleans find us at the car wash...

RE: Cleaning smoker - Big Johnson's BBQ - 07-24-2012 10:30 AM

I spent 2 hours Sunday night at the car wash cleaning my pit... Took all the grates & tuning plates out and got her super clean, then oiled her back up!

Should be ready for Craig now!