Utah BBQ Forums
Newbie Learning Curve - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: Latest Events (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Latest Events and Information. (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Newbie Learning Curve (/showthread.php?tid=4324)

Newbie Learning Curve - WTFmarinade - 06-18-2012 11:56 AM

Hey Pros:

Where do I find the following? I don't want to go cheap, but I don't have disposable income just to buy top of the line:

Grill/Smoker thermometer - I saw the heat temp inspector at the Tooele Heritage days use a digital laser type. Will an oven thermometer work?

Marinade Injector.

Apple, Hickory, Mesquite Wood chips.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

The "Real Boss" behind WTF Marinade

RE: Newbie Learning Curve - SoEzzy - 06-18-2012 12:21 PM

WalMart oven shelf thermometer about $5.00 will do the job, but they do color up from being in the smoke and they get hard to read.

If you have somewhere to balance the stem of a longer thermometer, you can buy the Turkey Fryer therm, under $10.00 with a 12" stem, I've used a load of these on Ugly Drum Smokers and they do work well.

If you want to move up a little you can get either a Maverick e73 or the newer e732 with two probes, and go digital.

If you look at ebay, or at teltru.com and look for BBQ thermometers, go with something 2 or 2.5" in diameter and with a stem 3 or 4 or 6", don't go much shorter than the 3" stem, as most of it will be in the wall or the lid and you won't get as accurate a reading close to the wall.

What sort of budget do you have?

RE: Newbie Learning Curve - Phred - 06-18-2012 01:01 PM

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Deluxe-Cajun-Injector_path_11429-13608-2146_item_861.html

I recommend this injector. Price is good and the plastic holds up.

Phred

RE: Newbie Learning Curve - T - 06-23-2012 02:45 PM

Smith's sells the same injector, but it's black, not as much and no shipping. I have bought the Cajun one until I ran on to this one.