Utah BBQ Forums
Whole Hog - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Whole Hog (/showthread.php?tid=4415)

Whole Hog - Tour de Que - 07-18-2012 08:24 AM

OK, so my neighbor and I have decided to get a little CRAZY!! We want to cook a hole hog ... in a pit. Anyone ever done that? Any points, tips, advises ... thoughts ... warnings ... etc.

Thanks, TDQ

RE: Whole Hog - SoEzzy - 07-18-2012 10:54 AM

Bud-wie-ser did one a couple of years ago.

http://www.utahbbq.org/showthread.php?tid=294

RE: Whole Hog - bud-wie-ser - 07-18-2012 08:39 PM

What kind of setup are you planning to use?
Rotisserie:
Butterflied on expanded metal?
wrapped in burlap or banana leaves and buried with coals and hot rocks?

RE: Whole Hog - Tour de Que - 07-19-2012 07:56 AM

(07-18-2012 08:39 PM)bud-wie-ser Wrote:  What kind of setup are you planning to use?
Rotisserie:
Butterflied on expanded metal?
wrapped in burlap or banana leaves and buried with coals and hot rocks?

The latter ... wrapped nice and pretty with coals and hot rocks.

RE: Whole Hog - T - 07-19-2012 09:30 AM

The worst thing that I have ever smelled was a pig that was wrapped in burlap, buried, and it went bad! Had a guy come to the restaurant a few years back and wanted me to check out his pig along with 13 others. When he uncovered it from the pit the smelled gagged some, and others instantly heaved. Not to discourage you but do your home work.I will never forget that smell! Good luck! Needless to say, his little party was ruined. P.S. If I remember correctly Omar and a friend did one. He is up your way check with him.

RE: Whole Hog - Tour de Que - 07-19-2012 10:02 AM

(07-19-2012 09:30 AM)T Wrote:  The worst thing that I have ever smelled was a pig that was wrapped in burlap, buried, and it went bad! Had a guy come to the restaurant a few years back and wanted me to check out his pig along with 13 others. When he uncovered it from the pit the smelled gagged some, and others instantly heaved. Not to discourage you but do your home work.I will never forget that smell! Good luck! Needless to say, his little party was ruined. P.S. If I remember correctly Omar and a friend did one. He is up your way check with him.

So true!! I have had a similar experience. It's all in how your wrap the meat and cover to eliminate the oxygen.

RE: Whole Hog - Desert Magnolia - 07-19-2012 10:34 AM

I did one once boneless in running. Put it in chicken wire on a post and payed a kid to baste it with coconut milk every 20 min in a cinder block pit. That's a pain in the butt. You can rent pig cookers from dimond rental but they are gas.

RE: Whole Hog - bgreenlee - 07-25-2012 10:40 PM

I've Been cooking in the ground since I was a kid. Very easy. Dig a hole a couple foot longer and wider than you pig. Prep the pig how you want him to lay when cooked. I stuff the belly cavity with whole chickens as well. Sew those in to the cavity. Wrap it in foil excessively and then do it again. Your burying it and digging it up. It sucks to break the foil with a shovel after a twelve pack. Build your fire with hardwood if you can till you have a good 6-8" of coals. I had a mess with pinion pine two years ago as it didnt stay hot long enough. I had to finish it in my smoker. Put a little dirt on the coals to keep from scorching the pig. Wrap your pig in wet burlap. I use the big burlap bags from IFA so the pig is inside. Lay the pig on the fire. Cover with a little dirt then put a piece of tin over that. Then bury fully. Now drink and celebrate the fact you taking cooking from the kitchen to the back yard In a hole. You've got around 18-20 hrs to celebrate. So go easy. Dig your pig up and let it rest for a bit. Carefully remove foil to keep the dirt out. Remove your chickens from the belly. And serve. I've done this with pigs, lambs, goats, and several game animals that would normally taste bad due to age/sex. It works well.

We will be doing one here in Sept or early October at the house. Always a good time m
The last few I have put a thermometer with a wireless display in just to make sure I am going to get temperature. The first one I did here in UT I used pinion pine and the heat didn't hold out long enough. I had to throw him on the smoker for the last two hours to push the temp up.(that's why I now insist on hard woods).

For your first few I would use a wireless thermometer in the pig, under the foil and cable routed out, so you can watch the temp to make sure it's cooking fully. I just bring my display from the thermometer in the house and keep an eye on it.

RE: Whole Hog - Tour de Que - 08-06-2012 11:41 AM

Thanks for all of your thoughts and the PM's (THANKS GENE!!).

Turns out that the local Traeger dealer loans out its COM200 FOR FREE!!! (I just buy my pellets from them). I think that I am going to go that route.

I assume this is possible?? has anyone ever done that before? Tips are appreciated.

TDQ

RE: Whole Hog - SoEzzy - 08-06-2012 12:25 PM

The COM200 sure is a nice cooker, I got to use Larry's for the Cabela's KCBS CBJ class a couple of years ago and they are a nice cooker, (at least Larry's was a nice cooker, if I'd had the money, (and permission to spend it, and I didn't have either), I'd have made him a serious offer when he sold it.

RE: Whole Hog - Gene - 08-07-2012 02:22 PM

We did a 150# hog the night before & day of the Gallivan Center contest in 2009 for the gent that owns the Fun Bus.
Then sat in judges seats at the contest Saturday, got on a plane Sunday and headed for Okinawa.
We just seasoned the brute, inside & out after coating it with olive oil so the rub would stick. It was put in the Traeger on the bottom shelf, belly down, rear legs forward under the hog, front legs in the same manner. None of that bad sky diving accident look for us.
After it was cooked, 14-15 hours, we slid it out onto a sheet of foiled 3/4" plywood, did some garnishing and got outta the way. That thing nearly vanished. Use a remote sensing thermometer to check for doneness, or two, one in the butt and one in the ham.
We used to have some pics but they got deleted or something somewhere. I have 1 pic of a 130# one we did at the Franklin Co. Fair in the Traeger. 2007 or 2008, forget which.

RE: Whole Hog - Tour de Que - 08-07-2012 02:24 PM

When you do the whole hog, do you take it to the same temperature as a pork butt? What about the leaner meats?