Utah BBQ Forums
Old Country BBQ Pits - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Tips, Tricks, and Helpful Hints (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Old Country BBQ Pits (/showthread.php?tid=5326)

Old Country BBQ Pits - High Country BBQ - 11-15-2013 07:27 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Old Country BBQ Pits? I have been looking at their 30" or 36" and possibly their rectangular pits (TS36X168, TS30X156, TS30X156R, or TS24X132R). How do they hold heat? Are they well built? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information.

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - SoEzzy - 11-15-2013 08:05 PM

I've seen a couple around, and they have a good build quality.

I can't remember where I saw one recently, either on TV or online.

Been around a long time, and still in business, you don't do that without being able to provide a good product and/or a good service!

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - Desert Magnolia - 11-15-2013 08:06 PM

Don't have a lot of experience with those but I do with Laredo! IMHO I would not go with anything less than a 30. With a 24 its just wide enough for a slab or a brisket but with a 30 you can get the extra one in on the back. I have a 30x60 Loanstar Custom (For sale) and can get 19 briskets on it at a time.

Size depends on need and how you will use it. I have run catering, and cookoffs on this one with plenty of room most of the time.

I did look at these when I got mine and didn't get one mostly because of the value in other pits.

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - High Country BBQ - 11-15-2013 09:55 PM

Thanks. What about the need to insulate the firebox or the smoker. I currently have a Tejas smoker 1628CC which is made out of ¼ steel and is 5’ in length (including firebox). I have about 100 degrees difference between the barrel and upright. On a larger trailer mounted smoker does this become even more of an issue? The Old Country pits I am looking at are approximately 8’. Should I look at insulating the firebox or even the entire smoker or is that a waste of money?

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - SoEzzy - 11-16-2013 12:38 AM

IMO insulating the fire box is a good idea, unless you have a never ending fuel supply!

Insulating the whole pit is generally not necessary, adds lots of weight and a pit that is drafting well won't loose much heat, except in the wildest weather... to get yourself through those days, buy a welding blanket or two, and throw them over the pit to keep off the rain and the wind. When not in use they roll into a small space, and they do the job when you need them.

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - Desert Magnolia - 11-16-2013 06:16 AM

You cant go wrong with insulating a fire box. Mine at least has a double wall top. Most of the heat is lost in the top of the fire box. I have seen people with 5 gallon pots of boiling water on top of fireboxes. The insulation will direct more heat in the cooking chamber cutting the fuel needed sometimes by half.

Those pits come with tuning plates so it shouldn't be an issue with even heat once you learn to use them. As for the uprite section I have never seen one not over the firebox that runs the temp of the cooking chamber. Mostly those are used as holding boxes or just for finishing so you can get the next cook on.

RE: Old Country BBQ Pits - High Country BBQ - 11-16-2013 10:13 AM

Thanks for the great information. I hope that one day soon I will be able to stop looking and actually buy a larger smoker.