Utah BBQ Forums
Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Beef & Burger Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Thread: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques (/showthread.php?tid=5352)

Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Pegleg - 12-15-2013 12:56 PM

With Christmas Eve just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on rubs/techniques for prime rib if anyone is willing to share; we also can't forget the Horseradish Sauce.

My family loves the flavor of simply dousing the meat with Worcestershire Sauce and covering it with Montreal Steak Seasoning, wrap it up tight in plastic and let it sit for a day or so. I then run it through my WSM with Cherry Wood, pulling it off at about 138 Deg.; after about 20 minutes the temp climbs to about 141 which puts the meat to just about medium.

Thanks in advance,

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Larry Jacobs - 12-15-2013 01:26 PM

Growing up in the woods in Western Washington the last thing this nature boy would be having for vittles was prime rib. So it was rather a shock when I attended a nice banquit at a convention and was served this totally raw piece of meat. Any meat served up at the Jacobs cabin dinner table was either shot on the run or raised in a pen and with a dad that preached "Brown is cooking, black is done" you can bet any meat that raw would be going back to the frying pan.

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Gene - 12-15-2013 01:56 PM

We did two Prime Ribs a couple of years ago that were dry aged in the refrigerator for a week. The guide lines were from a Food TV show with Alton Brown if I remember correctly. They were wrapped in cheese cloth which allowed the surface blood to leech out. After a day or so the cheese cloth was removed and the P.R. were rewrapped with new cheese cloth. It was quite a process but it was well worth it according to the guests at our banquet. We used wasabi instead of horse radish. They went in the Traeger with pecan pellets, (all I use) as fodder, smoked to 130*, which is rare, not raw, then rested. Baked potatoes, tossed green salad, and veggie sides were the meal. Brenda did one of her trifles for dessert.
Traeger has a recipe for P.R. out now too. Using hickory for the smoke. Those pieces of meat ain't cheap, so proper care and cooking make all the difference. Thinking of doing one for Christmas this year, just not as involved as the last ones.
Merry Christmas all.

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - T - 12-15-2013 11:01 PM

This is a great one!

http://chefronlock.com/recipes/roast-prime-rib-of-beef/

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Desert Magnolia - 12-16-2013 08:23 AM

For a full roast I love a paste of Olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic, onion and thyme. Rub that all over and toss it into an oven at 500 for 2.5 hours pull and let rest 45 min and slice. the oil gives it a nice crispy and peppery bark that wont stop. Also you got to have fresh ground house radish. You can get it at winco. Use the food processor and open a window when you do it.

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - SoEzzy - 12-16-2013 01:46 PM

I prefer horse radish to house radish, too much wood and brick dust when you grind house radish... if you ask me! Wink

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Desert Magnolia - 12-16-2013 01:57 PM

well the fiber does help lol

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques - Larry Jacobs - 12-16-2013 07:44 PM

This is a nice steakhouse in Flint Michigan my daughter ate at today. Notice those prices are per ounce!