Utah BBQ Forums
Peach Wood - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Peach Wood (/showthread.php?tid=5424)

Peach Wood - fidel_astorga - 03-21-2014 09:52 AM

I picked up a truck load of peach wood yesterday and some of it looks great while other pieces look like they sat in the snow all winter long. Some looks like the bark was still wet.

How do you know the difference from good firewood and bad firewood?

RE: Peach Wood - elkski - 03-21-2014 02:56 PM

(03-21-2014 09:52 AM)fidel_astorga Wrote:  I picked up a truck load of peach wood yesterday and some of it looks great while other pieces look like they sat in the snow all winter long. Some looks like the bark was still wet.

It will all dry out. May take a season.
On a similar note. I am cutting down dome major apricot limbs. Some 8". Is apricot worth keeping?

RE: Peach Wood - fidel_astorga - 03-21-2014 03:05 PM

(03-21-2014 02:56 PM)elkski Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 09:52 AM)fidel_astorga Wrote:  I picked up a truck load of peach wood yesterday and some of it looks great while other pieces look like they sat in the snow all winter long. Some looks like the bark was still wet.

It will all dry out. May take a season.
On a similar note. I am cutting down dome major apricot limbs. Some 8". Is apricot worth keeping?

I have never cooked with Apricot. I know David from Half Baked Hippies cooked some butts with it and he said it added a nice dark color to his butts. I believe all fruit wood is great to cook with.

RE: Peach Wood - Out West Smokers - 03-21-2014 03:32 PM

I cook with apricot all the time but I do like peach better

RE: Peach Wood - SoEzzy - 03-27-2014 03:09 PM

Take two pieces of the wood and bang them together.

If it sounds like a dull thud, then they need to season for 6 months or more, if they make a sound like a home run or a great line drive, they are fully seasoned and ready to cook with.

RE: Peach Wood - snikkidee - 03-31-2014 08:08 AM

Peach wood is best fresh. It's the only fruit wood to use fresh. Seasoned isn't useless, it'll still give off a fruity flavor, but it won't be distinctively peach. Apricot is one of my favorite to smoke with. It ages well like other fruit woods, the flavor isn't distinct like cherry- but the COLOR apricot gives is just beautiful, like you dipped it in orange juice and maple syrup.