Utah BBQ Forums
Briskett - Did I really see that?? - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Beef & Burger Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Thread: Briskett - Did I really see that?? (/showthread.php?tid=709)

Briskett - Did I really see that?? - Tour de Que - 02-03-2010 11:30 AM

So, I was watching an episode of the BBQ Pitmasters a few weeks ago and they showed Myron preparing a briskett. I can't say for sure, but I could have sworn that he cut the entire fat cap off the briskett (whereas, I usually hear that you leave a small portion on there). Did my eyes deceive me? Have any of you ever tried that?

I guess that I may be doing something wrong because whenever I leave some of the fat there, it's still there when the cook is done. That means that I throw away a layer of fat and reveal a side of the brisket with no seasoning or bark. Am I doing this wrong?

I know I will probably get all my answers at the upcoming training session, but I am impatient (got a brisket that i am going to throw on the ol' UDS this weekend).

TQD

Re: Briskett - Did I really see that?? - Guest - 02-03-2010 11:44 AM

He cooks the whole brisket. I did see where it looked like one of the cooks took off the cap and cooked it seperatly, Not sure who it was?

Rstone

Re: Briskett - Did I really see that?? - Brown Bear - 04-25-2010 06:20 PM

I know this post is a few months old, I am new to the site and just reading over things. I tivo'd that episode and it surprised me as well. The all cut of the fat, all of it, so the rub doesn't wash of as the fat rendered. I have never done that I always leave the fat cap but I do want to try this.