Cuban Rueben (pics) - Printable Version
+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Recipes, Formulas & Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Beef & Burger Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Thread: Cuban Rueben (pics) (/showthread.php?tid=733)
Cuban Rueben (pics) - Guest - 01-29-2010 12:39 PM
What does a guy do when he has a mess of pulled pork, a hankerin' for
a Cuban sandwich, but also loves a Rueben? You make a Cuban Rueben!
1. Get yourself one of those bake-at-home French baguettes.
2. Put your pizza stone and a large cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 350*.
3. Cut off 12" of the baguette and slice it lengthwise.
4. Smear each half of the bread with your favorite mustard (I used honey mustard and a little plain yellow).
5. Lay slices of Swiss cheese over the mustard on each half.
6. Warm a handful of pulled pork in the microwave.
7. Pile the pork on the bottom half of the bread.
8. Lay three folded slices of deli ham on top of the pork.
9. Pile sauerkraut on the ham.
10. Put the top on and press it down firmly.
11. Set the sandwich on the pizza stone and cover it with the skillet turned upside-down (to form a dome).
12. Bake 20 minutes.
Re: Cuban Rueben (pics) - PackerBacker - 01-30-2010 05:26 PM
WoW! :shock: :shock: Saliva Alert!!!! Cover your key boards!!!! Looks on the hook to me :lol:
Re: Cuban Rueben (pics) - sampson - 01-30-2010 07:02 PM
OMG!!! Now I'm starving... John that looks great, I can taste it right on the screen, crunchy and warm on the outside, cheesy and meaty on the inside. Thanks for sharing this one, I'd never thought to use the pan like that.
Re: Cuban Rueben (pics) - Guest - 01-30-2010 07:04 PM
Thanks, guys. It really is an incredibly good sandwich, if I do say so myself.
Re: Cuban Rueben (pics) - Guest - 02-02-2010 09:14 PM
Here's the official recipe for this sammy:
1 Bake-at-home French baguette
3/4 cup Barbecued pulled pork (or roasted pork), warmed
1/2 cup Sauerkraut, drained very well
1/8 lb Deli ham, sliced to sandwich thickness
4 slices Swiss cheese, sliced to sandwich thickness
3 tsp Honey mustard
1 tsp Plain yellow mustard
Put a pizza stone and a large cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 350*.
Mix both mustards in a small bowl.
Cut off 12" of the baguette and slice it lengthwise.
Smear each half of the bread with the mustard mixture.
Lay the cheese slices over the mustard on each half, fold it as needed so as to not overlap the edges of the bread.
Pile the pork on evenly on the bottom half of the bread.
Lay folded slices of ham on top of the pork.
Spread the sauerkraut evenly on the ham.
Put the bread top on, and press it down firmly.
Set the sandwich on the pizza stone and cover it with the skillet turned upside-down (to form a dome).
Bake 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, slice in half and serve.