Utah BBQ Forums
Utah Contests - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Wild West Debacle 09 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Utah Contests (/showthread.php?tid=851)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Utah Contests - Arlie Bragg - 12-09-2009 07:24 PM

So at this time does Utah even have a contest with R and R and Snowbird cancelling?

Arlie

Re: Utah Contests - Larry Jacobs - 12-09-2009 10:13 PM

Did I miss something? Is Rockin Ribs 2010 canceled?

Re: Utah Contests - Guest - 12-09-2009 10:42 PM

Y'all raise a good point. Has the 2010 UBBQA contest schedule been discussed? I'd love to make some plans, but I need something to work with.

Has R&R indeed been cancelled?

John

Re: Utah Contests - Hintzes Hog - 12-10-2009 11:19 AM

Well thats just a swift kick in the b$%^&. Sad What can we do to get other contests here?

Re: Utah Contests - BBQMama - 12-10-2009 11:25 AM

Still waiting for final confirmation, but yes, R&R may not occur this year. With the construction at the Gallivan Center, conflicts with other contest dates, and an alternate venue that would have been a potential nightmare, the competition may be on hold until next year when we can accommodate teams in an improved venue. Will let you all know as soon as things are settled. We had our sanctioning application in to KCBS, but then things kind of got crazy yesterday so this is new news. We will keep you informed.

As for other Utah competitions, we are still working hard to get sponsorship for Fire, Water & Ice ... and are actively pursuing some new competitions with folks who are excited to work with the Association to put together some large events.

Re: Utah Contests - Arlie Bragg - 12-10-2009 11:32 AM

dont count out Snowbird just yet but it will have a new date!

Re: Utah Contests - Guest - 12-10-2009 12:02 PM

While we are on the subject of comps, has anyone received any of the prize monies as of yet from Brian Brinkerhoff for the Wild West BBQ comp 6 months ago? I personally still haven't heard/seen a single thing from him (I am owed over $1700)... No phone calls, no letters no email, no nothing... It was my understanding the Association was having some contact with him late last Aug and there were a lot of "promises" being made... Anything ever materialize for anyone? Or has this just fallen by the wayside?

Hoochie

Re: Utah Contests - SoEzzy - 12-10-2009 03:54 PM

As for it being dropped / fallen by the wayside, I thought that legal advice had been sought and that there may even be an attorney in Park City willing to take the case?

Or was that just mistaken or incorrect information?

Re: Utah Contests - Guest - 12-10-2009 04:05 PM

SoEzzy Wrote:As for it being dropped / fallen by the wayside, I thought that legal advice had been sought and that there may even be an attorney in Park City willing to take the case?

Or was that just mistaken or incorrect information?

Nope... Nothing mistaken or incorrect at all... Was last advised to "wait and see" last September... And just hadn't heard anything...

Hoochie

Re: Utah Contests - Hintzes Hog - 12-10-2009 05:08 PM

I understand that the KCBS is the big dawg and ruler of all the free world so please don’t take this as blasphemy but are there other BBQ organizations that could bring competitions to Utah?

Re: Utah Contests - Nayehiya - 12-10-2009 05:33 PM

You might want to contact someone in the PNWBA
John

Re: Utah Contests - SoEzzy - 12-10-2009 06:22 PM

The sanctioning body makes a big difference.

There are lots to choose from.

IBCA
KCBS
PNWBA
MBN

IBCA and Gulf Coast have different rules and cook different things in different ways, and use or don't use garnish.
The MNB (Memphis in May network) use shoulder, ribs and whole hog as their categories.
PNWBA Working in the Pacific North West.

Plus many regional or state associations also sanction events.

The reasons that sanctioning a contest with the bigger organizations is worth doing, are two fold IMO.

1) It brings in the larger organization with folks to rep and oversee the contest, (so that you aren't trying to find members of the home organization who wont be able to cook or judge, because they are doing some or all of the organizing or representing the sanctioning body).
2) It can gain access to the Jack and American Royal for the Grand Champion of applicable contests.

Some of the regional or State bodies that sanction events, do so specifically for that region /State and for the TOY for that organization.

The two bodies that connect to the Jack and the Royal appear to be the KCBS and the PNWBA, it doesn't appear that many invites go out to MBN other than the big ones, the IBCA has it's own invitational that takes place in October.

Re: Utah Contests - PackerBacker - 12-10-2009 07:04 PM

I dont mean to "split hairs" here but a contest can qualify for the Jack and Royal without a sanctioning body. It only needs a Governors Proclamation stating that it is a State Championship, but it would req. 15 teams in the first year, 25 teams second year. Other than that, as Chris said, sanctioning bodies and or there Reps are there for rule enforcement, and organizing the actual "running" of the contest.. Maybe John Hunt or Jim Monihan or local KCBS reps can further explain there duties.

Hope we havent confused ya, HH :wink: It can get complicated, at times.

Dave

Re: Utah Contests - Dutchovendude - 12-10-2009 10:37 PM

We are working on some new contests and we haven't given up on the old. Dates and conflicts are our biggest challenge right now. We will get dates out to everyone on the upcoming events as soon as we can work things out. If most of you are like me, you need to schedule your vacation time way in advance. We will do our best to keep everyone updated.
Mike

Re: Utah Contests - tex-mex / Idaho - 12-11-2009 06:08 PM

Looks like Colleen's Village of Trees BBQ comp. could attract alot of Utah cooks this next year , she will be posting a June date soon...............................

Still working on vendors and sponsors,prize money, etc.........................

omar / tex-mex

Re: Utah Contests - PackerBacker - 12-11-2009 06:34 PM

Hey Omar! glad to hear its moving along, in fact I e-mailed her today to see if and when she may need some help or ideas.... Ya never know we may have 2-3 three others in the plans

Dave

Re: Utah Contests - tex-mex / Idaho - 12-11-2009 08:53 PM

Yes ! it is time for Idaho to step up ! and have the Premire comps. in the area......................... Big Grin

Re: Utah Contests - Pitmaster - 12-13-2009 11:54 PM

Gentlemen:
I am working with the Chamber of Commerce to have a Spring contest in Idaho Falls on the Snake River. Precisely at the Snake River Landing. I'll let you know when I have any details around the end of January.
Rob

Pitmaster BarBQue Company
Idaho Falls, ID

Re: Utah Contests - Dutchovendude - 12-14-2009 09:02 AM

Awesome! Thanks Rob, Keep us posted.

Re: Utah Contests - Swine Steward - 12-14-2009 11:59 PM

Great news for Idaho ! Keep up the good work Rob.

Re: Utah Contests - Guest - 12-16-2009 12:18 AM

I think it may be the time to ask ourselves why do other state already have several contest on the books with sponsors already lined up. What can we do to grow the association with new members and what can we do to have a more cohesive organization?

I am not in the loop with all the information about future contest but is seems we need to focus on having at least one big contest that brings in 30 to 40 teams. I think it was a sad statement that Rockin Ribs didn't have enough teams to be a qualifier. Is there something we could learn from other organizations in near by states that seem to have a lot more contest every year?

Just some thoughts I have about the future and hope no one is upset that these questions are being asked.

Re: Utah Contests - SoEzzy - 12-16-2009 01:25 AM

Lets take Colorado as an example.

1994 - 2003 1 unsanctioned contest each year (at least that was all I could find referenced).
2005 3 contests
2006 2 contests
2007 6 contests
2008 9 contests
2009 13 contests

With the exception of 2006 there has been a 3 contest gain each year, and the only difference was it took them 9 years before it began to take off.

We have been rolling under the old crowd until this year, there were 3 contests here this year, and there's no telling how many we will have next year yet, but as with all things it takes a whole lot of effort to put on a contest and to find the sponsorship, place to hold the contest.

The new Managing Members have started working on some already, but there are none ready to the point that we can announce that they are more than in the pipeline yet.

There are also the ones in neighboring States, that were new last year and may be sanctioned next year.

If anyone has a source of sponsorship that they know could come up with $5,000 $10,000 or more for an event, and somewhere and some time that would make a good contest, please come forward with the ideas.

One of the things that is often difficult when organizing contests, is that those involved in the work of setting up and running contests don't get to compete as they would like, as they are still involved in the running instead of the competing right up to and during the event.

Re: Utah Contests - Jaybird - 12-16-2009 09:27 AM

Well, this is just my humble opinion.
My suggestion is to concentrate on one contest in 2010. Put all your eggs in one basket instead of an egg here and there. This will make it an automatic qualifier and that's the only way to draw 30-40 teams to Utah right now. Also, attracting this many teams, making it a large contest, might open up the eyes to future sponsors. Invite potential sponsors to come and experience this 'one and only' contest of the year. Emphasizing the importance of the winner of this contest goes to the Jack and American Royal. Show that there's something in it for them also...TV coverage of some sort.
One big contest is better than 3 little ones. Little ones don't usually impress anybody and you have to impress these days. I also think one big contest is easier to organize than 3 little ones. Pour all energy into one.

Remember, there's alot of people watching Pitmasters and they want to SEE it happen and experience it themselves.

Now all that was easy for me to say as I have never organized a contest and never want to. Just my .02

Re: Utah Contests - Flexo - 12-16-2009 10:13 AM

Having organized a contest, one of the most difficult parts is getting sponsorship. If you have someone that is interested in sponsoring a contest, get with one of the managing members and see where they can be plugged into. It is difficult to organize and compete at the same time, that's for sure!!! One thing to keep in mind, take care of the sponsors. If we take care of the sponsors, they will feel like they got their monies worth, and they may want to sponsor a contest again. (I learned that from a wise BBQ guru in Taylorsville).
Jay is right, there is a lot of interest in the BBQ Pitmasters show. I have more people asking me how it is to compete, what to expect at a contest, etc. We have an opportunity to really play off from that show. So talk up BBQ contests, let people know when and where they are. Get the word out and we will see our contests in Utah grow!

Re: Utah Contests - wallywombat - 12-16-2009 01:57 PM

The other thing we need is to somehow get all of our CBJ's out to do the judging. It seems that only a handful of judges are judging and then a bunch of people who have never judged. I know we should have quite a few judges available as we have had the class numerous times.

Chad Bryan
CBJ