Utah BBQ Forums
Wife was kinda mad - Printable Version

+- Utah BBQ Forums (http://www.utahbbq.org)
+-- Forum: BBQ (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Tips, Tricks, and Helpful Hints (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Wife was kinda mad (/showthread.php?tid=947)

Wife was kinda mad - mjerdmann - 10-19-2009 12:55 PM

So, maybe funny, maybe helpful. You decide.

I had a great idea this weekend, the grates on my smoker are too large for the sink and too wide for the bus tubs, Cleaning in the sink is awkward and outdoors is messy. So why not soak them in the tub? Warm water, degreaser, then let sit. Well, it turns a very dark shade of brown and send out a strong odor.

What else was I to do? A man needs clean cooking grates.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Guest - 10-19-2009 01:50 PM

Why, you invest in one of these. :wink: I put a ball valve on the bottom of mine and use a five-gallon bucket to drain it.

[Image: 739348100591md.jpg]

John

- Flexo - 10-19-2009 02:11 PM

Yup, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!

Re: Wife was kinda mad - T - 10-19-2009 02:56 PM

Yo, I also use my weed burner sometimes to burn almost all of the goodies off then you have less grease to worry about, and it saves money on cleaner. Just another way mike.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Larry Jacobs - 10-19-2009 03:33 PM

Sometimes wives just don't see the big picture. Like this summer when my wife asked me to scub down the tile in the shower with Tilex. My 5000 PSI power washer seemed like a good idea. That was the week I learned to grout tile.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Gene - 10-19-2009 05:37 PM

Now that's funny Larry. Probably not to you, but it had me laughing. :lol:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - sampson - 10-19-2009 07:04 PM

Larry Jacobs;p="19296 Wrote:Sometimes wives just don't see the big picture. Like this summer when my wife asked me to scub down the tile in the shower with Tilex. My 5000 PSI power washer seemed like a good idea. That was the week I learned to grout tile.

Are you somehow related to "Tim the Toolman Taylor"? That's just freakin' hilarious...

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Cyclops - 10-19-2009 08:38 PM

:twisted: After going on 40 years, I have learned they get glad in the same shoes they got mad in! Just be prepared to be called a "DORK" for the rest of your life! I figure that is a small price to pay for clean grates!:twisted:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Grill Sargent - 10-20-2009 02:31 PM

Larrry......at least you didn't do like the tilex commercial where the woman drove the jeep through the bathroom wall to get aggrestive with tile cleaning....and I do agree with Sampson....that was hilarious.......I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Maybe roses and diamonds might bail you out of the doghouse.......

- Tuff - 10-21-2009 06:42 PM

I was watching "Good Eats" on food network and they suggested cleaning grates in your oven on the self cleaning cycle. then rubbing the char off with pumice stone or a wire brush.
I am trying that next time cause I get in trouble for the same thing.

- wallywombat - 10-22-2009 09:00 AM

I have had success using my old gas grill. I usually have to turn them around once but they always come out clean.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - SlowJoes - 10-22-2009 01:51 PM

Sounds like a perfect training issue here. You got past the 1st step. By the 5th or 6th time you soak the grates in the tub, she should be used to it. You should also note a remarkable decrease in the amount of grumbling and swearing as she cleans up after you. Hang in there....it only gets easier. Just ask PackerBacker. You should see what his wife has him doing.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Gene - 10-22-2009 02:27 PM

And I thought gas grills were only good for seasoning cast iron cookware. :oops:
If one pays attention, one learns something every day. Thanks for that tid-bit WW. Big Grin

Re: Wife was kinda mad - mjerdmann - 10-22-2009 06:20 PM

You know, her hair products do kinda stink. I think its a good idea to hold firm and soak my grates!

Thanks to all. Next season i will get a flame thingy for my tank. Good one T.

Funny part too ... I actually have one of those plastics sinks in the basement somewhere. You guys are soo cool.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Three4Que - 10-22-2009 08:07 PM

I've tried the dishwasher before. It did an okay job. I'll stay away from the weedburner though!!!! :oops:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Gene - 10-23-2009 12:26 AM

Ya, you & fire don't mix well. :roll:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Cyclops - 10-23-2009 11:00 AM

You have the best of both worlds Gene. Cook that great BBQ and then just toss your racks into a tidal pool to let those little critters clean them for you.

Re: Wife was kinda mad - SoEzzy - 10-23-2009 01:21 PM

Three4Que;p="19354 Wrote:I've tried the dishwasher before. It did an okay job. I'll stay away from the weedburner though!!!! :oops:

They are OK... you just have to learn to light them before you have a pit full of un-burnt gas! :oops:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Gene - 10-23-2009 05:33 PM

I never thought of that Jim, maybe an added benefit of grabing a lobster while he's dining on BBQ bits. :roll:

Re: Wife was kinda mad - Cyclops - 10-23-2009 05:52 PM

:twisted: There ya go! With just a little planning, built in "surf and turf"! When we cooked on the boats and the grills got a little crusty, the mate would just hang them over the rail overnight and they would come up "spic and span" in the morning. Maybe a little rusty from one too many trips to the deep, but clean. :twisted: