Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did I rub it wrong?
mjerdmann Offline

Did I rub it wrong?
Greetings and Salutations.

As always, please forgive me is these are dumb questions. Is there a rule or preference on meat types when it comes to rubs? Is a coarse rub better on brisket and fine rub preferred for poultry?

Also, are all spice (coffee) grinders alike? Any feedback or direction will be well received. I am looking at some basic $20 grinders. Are they adequate? THX!!

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
06-09-2009 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Did I rub it wrong?
In all my scholarly years I was told "the only dumb question is a question not asked". Now, what was your question? Oh, now I remember.
I'm letting the cat out of the bag here. I bought a smallish spice grinder and use the heck out of it when I make a batch of rub. I make it up as needed so the oils and aromas don't fade away after sitting around for extended periods. I store them in an air tight bottle if they don't all get used up.
Purchase what you can afford, I'd say. I have an electric one that works very well. I use some herb seeds in my seasonings so instead of using a mortar and pestal this makes short work of hard seeds. My brisket rub is faily course and my P&P rub is somewhat fine textured. I run the sugar thru a food processor. There, that's all there is to it. That was easy, huh.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-09-2009 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I like the idea that a larger piece of meat is often the one that cooks low and slow, the smaller piece cooks hotter and faster, so a larger granule size can still work good on the larger meat, while a smaller granule size works better on smaller meat.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-09-2009 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Did I rub it wrong?
Here are my rub tips:

1) Good, real and fresh! Use the best and freshest ingredients you can find and afford. I get my more exotic stuff from World Spice Merchants in Seattle. In most cases they don't grind the spices until you order them. Don't use spices that are more than six months old.

2) Keep your grain sizes as uniform and consistent as possible. This helps keep all the ingredients in suspension and evenly dispersed. I use a small electric coffee grinder that I have set aside solely for spices.

3) Storage is important. As Gene mentioned, make small batches when you need it. Store it in an airtight container in a cool dark place.

4) Experiment, but don't stray too far afield. Start with a solid base recipe and tweak it via controlled experimentation. For example, when developing a pork rub, use country style ribs cooked identically, but with a different version of rub on each.

I hope this helps,
John
06-09-2009 02:11 PM
Quote this message in a reply