Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whole Chicken......Your Call
rdenn_58 Offline

Whole Chicken......Your Call
Hi Everyone,

As some of you already know, I am new to the BBQ world. I am currently cooking on a Weber 22" kettle (hopefully Santa will park a WSM under the Christmas tree). Next weekend I want to cook up a whole chicken upright with beer (for the bird, not me.....okay maybe a couple while the bird is on the grill). I am thinking of grate temp around 250-280 and shooting for an internal temp of 160. Sound good? Also, what timeframe can I expect......I want to space out those couple of beers just right. :lol: Any suggestions for inside the bird.....onions, peppers, etc.

Oh, by the way Dave, go Vikes!!!!! :twisted:

Rich
10-17-2008 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I'd go just a touch higher on the internal temp, 165 in the breast or 175 in the thigh.

I put some onion in the beer can with the beer, and I close the flap of skn at the neck with a couple of toothpicks to keep the steam inside the chicken.

They'll be done somewhere between 2 3/4 - 4 hours, but that depends on hw hot you're cooking at grate level.

This is based on a 3 1/2 lb bird or so, smaller will take less time larger more!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-17-2008 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Whole Chicken......Your Call
Right on Rich! Noth'n better than "smack" talk with my first cup of Java!!!! Good luck this week and with YOUR team LOL As far as the bird goes, I have not done many whole birds with a beer up it's...... well you got the picture :roll:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-18-2008 06:44 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Other beverages work as well saving the barley malted one for more deserving occasions, like brats. (that's with the "ah" sound. We're not talking about spoiled children. See Dave, I didn't............... well dang near did. :wink:
Side note good job BSU Broncos!

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
10-18-2008 06:59 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Dats funny rite dare Big Grin Gene, your knee must be feel'n better, your wit is coming back :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-23-2008 11:09 AM
BBQSki Offline

Now personally, I think a beer-butt chicken is more of a center-piece on a table. Gotta' tell you as well that I don't think the can of beer actually does anything it terms of keeping the bird moist. For me, I think the split chicken is probably the very best way to cook a bird, particularly on a weber kettle.

And speaking of Weber kettles -- I absolutely love them. Have one that is probaby 20 years old on the back porch that I smoke on regularly. Check out <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smokenator.com">www.smokenator.com</a><!-- w --> for another option for smoking in 'em. Didn't someone on this forum win a GC on the exclusive use of the Weber kettle?
10-23-2008 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

I like to used the can on the outside of the chicken, like this guy, who I think stole the
idea from the the one and only Arlie. Is it true? Is your southern secert out? Are
there moles loose in Tennessee?
:lol:
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
10-23-2008 05:59 PM
rdenn_58 Offline

I cooked up the whole chicken yesterday. Man, was it good. Needs a little work, but a good start. I cooked it with the onions on the inside and the beer can. One thing.....I needed to let it cook for another 30 minutes to an hour even though the thermometer was at 165 in the thigh and 175 in the breast. I think that would have made it even better. I used mesquite, but should have used more throughout the cook to get more flavor. One thing I did that I really liked....within the last hour and a half, I put on some potatoes, onions, green pepper, and soy sauce on direct heat. Didn't have to use the stove at all for the meal.

Today, I cooked up a pork loin. Another success, but could use some tweaking. Very nice color, taste, and smoke ring. I reheated the leftover taters from last night and added some bean sprouts. Excellent!!! Now the fiance wants to know what's for dinner tomorrow. My reply......Good luck with that!!! But I am trying to decide on what to have next weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!! I have started logging all my BBQ tries and stay with what is already working or make adjustments to others.

Rich
10-26-2008 07:04 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Did a 13# turkey for the upcoming day. Practice, etc. Breast was on the dry side legs, thighs , the best anyway, were good. Nice suttle smokey flavor, mini pecan logs in the Traeger. A pot 'o' soup is next after I sammich the thing down to the bones. Didn't brine or inject it, just seasoned the thing with my own rub.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
10-27-2008 05:25 PM
rdenn_58 Offline

Gene,

No fair getting a head start for T-Day. You are making me start to drool already thinking of the drumstick, stuffing, taters, gravy, and the best part, pie. I just ate dinner but think I could wolf down another plate or two of the Thanksgiving usuals.

Going to watch the Viking game this weekend? Should beat the Texans, but then I have been saying that almost every weekend this year. But the real game comes on the 9th........yeah, it's Packer week again. Time to give Dave a bad time.

Rich
10-27-2008 07:34 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Rich, I just noticed (and this could be a typo) you posted your internal temps, then said you needed to cook a little longer, Take the thighs to 175 and the breast to 165, but like I said could be a typo,

Hope all is well :wink:
Go Pac Go

ps watch GB rip TN a new one this week!!! Right Arlie? Tongue

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-28-2008 03:08 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

You can do a Cornish Game Hen just like a beer can chicken. You have to buy the small juice cans (dole or some other brand) a regular sized beer can or soda can is too big to shove up that little guy. You buy those small cans and it works just fine...

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
10-30-2008 05:38 PM
Pigpen Offline

Hey everyone! It's been a while! I just got back from back home for an extended stay and got my last taste of humidity and I also got to see my impressive Redskins play. I was actually planning on doing a beer can chicken in the near future and all this is very helpful, so really I just wanted to say Hi to everyone.
10-31-2008 08:31 AM