Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Competition Etiquette
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Competition Etiquette
OOPS... I wish I had / hadn't done that!

Words of Wisdom from Championship, World Champion and Team of the Year BBQ Teams

CONTRIBUTORS in alphabetical order.

Backdraft BBQ
Big Creek BBQ
Bub-ba-Q
Burnin’ Bob
Butcher BBQ
Cancer sucks
Chix, Swine & Bovine
Denver Cajun
Florida Skin and Bones
Frankenswine and Ezzygore
4 Legs UP
Lizzy Q
Monarch BBQ
OOPS
Peacepit BBQ
Pellet Envy
QUAU
Rythum & Q
The Slabs
Slap Yo Daddy BBQ
Smokey Jakes BBQ
Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
Smokin Trigger
Sweet Peppers
Tumbleweed BBQ
Utah Smoke
Wild Bunch Butt Burners

A valuable guide to the novice or oldie about bbq competitions, reproduced here by kind permission of OOPS (Bob Sammons).

Thanks Bob!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-28-2011 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Competition Etiquette
Very nice. A lot of good info. What would be cool if someone with a lot of time on their hands could edit it into a digest where suggestions could be merged into a single list of ideas without repeats.
Anyone out there with two broken legs?
01-28-2011 10:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crashpilot
Unregistered

I like everything that was said and I agree with every sentiment stated except...

I'm just not sure why wearing your apron to the awards would be poor etiquette.
01-29-2011 11:48 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

It's generally frowned on unless you're also wearing a cheese head, then it's OK.
01-29-2011 02:31 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

crashpilot Wrote:I like everything that was said and I agree with every sentiment stated except...

I'm just not sure why wearing your apron to the awards would be poor etiquette.

Don't know..... Maybe he meant. "Only in an apron" :lol:
But really, I bet he meant a dirty apron

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-29-2011 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

What if my bibs are my apron? Should I take them off for the awards? :shock:

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-06-2011 01:04 PM
mrcourtneyw Offline

I'm pretty sure I read a section about "Sampson keeping his clothes ON!" What is it with you and no clothes on? I hear that's why your neighbor across the street is selling her house.

Courtney Wallace
The Q Spot BBQ Co. North Logan, UT
Smokin' on (2) WSM's, KCBS Member, CBJ
2010 Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-07-2011 12:28 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

sampson Wrote:What if my bibs are my apron? Should I take them off for the awards? :shock:

I think you should 'treat' the world to a few shots of you in your Red Baywatch Speedo's! :shock:

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
02-07-2011 12:59 PM
Three4Que Offline

RE: Competition Etiquette
Oh we really don't want that to happen. The world isn't ready for that yet. Maybe not for a long time. Smile

I agree w/ Dave, keep the dirty apron back at the cook site. If only we could find some material like Vince's shirt we could make Sampson a VERY, very, happy man!!!!

There are lots of great statements on there.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
07-02-2011 11:30 AM
Fatted Calf Rotisserie Offline

SoEzzy; Thank you for the book of information. This is a start for me. I have many questions. How do I join? Where do I pay my membership?
Is there a starter manual on how to begin? How do i put my profile info up? When can I start?
Alan

A Homecoming Celebration
03-12-2013 07:18 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

(02-07-2011 12:59 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  
sampson Wrote:What if my bibs are my apron? Should I take them off for the awards? :shock:

I think you should 'treat' the world to a few shots of you in your Red Baywatch Speedo's! :shock:

I'll pass thank you very much! So my cheese head and gold packer crocs are banned from awards? I dont get up much while i'm at awards so how can it be a problem? Sad

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
03-13-2013 07:57 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(03-12-2013 07:18 PM)Fatted Calf Rotisserie Wrote:  SoEzzy; Thank you for the book of information. This is a start for me. I have many questions. How do I join? Where do I pay my membership?
Is there a starter manual on how to begin? How do i put my profile info up? When can I start?
Alan

Hi Alan

Welcome to the forums!

To join the organization as a paid member, sign into the forums, on the line where it says Welcome back to the forums Fatted Calf Rotisserie is a link to User CP, click the link and that takes you to your User Control Panel, the second item top left is the MySubscriptions, click that link and make the payment via PayPal and you will be a Full Paid Member.

This area, (the User Control Panel), allows you to add an Avatar, or signature, Bio information, etc.

As for getting started, do you mean in competition, or in general smoking?

For general smoking, grab some meat, park butts are a very forgiving cut, and chicken leg quarters are relatively cheap, read a few threads about that cut and practice cooking some. If you have questions about your pit or type of pit, the meat or any specific technique, Post a Thread asking a question.

For competition cooking your have two choices:
1) Practice chicken and pork ribs until you are happy enough to go public with them, enter a Backyard competition, come out and set up at a Saturday competition early, and cook against some other Backyard cooks. If you cook Backyard, (under new Utah BBQ Organization Rules), you can cook as many Backyard contests as you like until you win 2 Backyard Grand Championships, on winning your second Backyard Grand Championships, you will be welcomed to move up to the Pro Division.

This will continue to open the door to other Backyard teams, and hopefully encourage some teams to progress in their cooking.

2) Practice all four meats, chicken, pork ribs, pork shoulder, beef brisket, and come out and cook competitions on the Pro - division contests. Utah BBQ Organization is operating a 3 meat contest system, we cook either Chicken, Pork Ribs and Brisket or Chicken Pork Shoulder and Brisket, there will be a couple of contests, this weeks Mark Miller being an example, where we will cook all four meats, (the next contest in the State is the Sam's Club Tour, and so this is the last time before that, that everyone is able to test their four meat skills)! The Utah BBQ Organization rules state that once you have cooked Pro division, a team is not allowed to return to the Backyard division competitions for a year after cooking Pro division.

This is why the Backyard division is there, to practice and practice until you feel you have a grasp, at which point one moves forward to the pro division and you can continue to practice, learn and move forward.

Come into the General section http://www.utahbbq.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=9 or into the Competition sections http://www.utahbbq.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=13 and ask away!

03-13-2013 08:25 AM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Are you saying Chris that after someone wins 2 GC in backyard they have to go Pro

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
03-13-2013 09:11 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

As an organization we want to encourage new teams to cook Backyard and existing Backyard teams to continue, to advance and cook Pro division.

Until the rules were discussed and then voted on, (last night), by the managing members, theoretically a back yard team could come out a few times each year and win as many Backyard GC's as they were able.

This can put a cap on the growth of the less successful teams, though some take it on themselves to sidestep winning a GC, and turn Pro and go on to calls, walks and some on to GC's as Pro's.

If a contestant has cooked as part of a Pro team and steps out to cook Backyard on their own, they will be encouraged to move into the Pro division on their own, after they take their first Backyard GC.

03-13-2013 10:00 AM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

Rumor has it that Fatted Calf Rotisserie will be cooking Backyard at the Mark Miller BBQ Comp this week...?

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
03-13-2013 04:08 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

Holy Cow, there is a lot to learn. The unwritten rules. Thanks for the post!

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
03-28-2013 11:17 AM