Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meat temps dropping
Dale Wilson Offline

Meat temps dropping
I have a pork shoulder going on 11 hours at 220-240. Fairly consistent smoker and ambient temps. At 9.5 hours, meats internal temp 187. After near 11 hrs...183. Any knowledge on why meat temp would drop?
11-06-2011 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Meat temps dropping
Did you check the meat with a recently tested thermometer?

How accurate is the therm on your pit, I suspect that the therm on the pit is possibly 20° out and that you are really cooking at 200 to 220°, it's much harder to get heat into the meat when there is no or not enough heat in the pit.

The Stall or drop more often happens in the 160° range and is caused by the fat and connective tissue breaking down and turning into water, with a UDS or WSM you can see when that is happening without opening the pit, as the whole pit temperature drops 10 - 15°, this is nothing to worry about as long as it stays at that level and doesn't drop more, if you keep an eye on it you will see it stay down at the lower level for an hour or more and then climb back to it's stable level once again.

Those that react and adjust for the decrease can be caught out by the increase when it comes back.

Seeing as it's been on 11 hours, you can do 1 of 3 things, 1) keep chugging along and see what happens, or 2) crank the temperature higher 250 - 275° or 3) foil the meat and crank the temperature and see how long it takes to get it up to 200!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-06-2011 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

RE: Meat temps dropping
Ditto what Chris said. ^^^^ Due to the dropping temperatures outside the last few days, I have been doing Chris's # 3 fix. Seems to work to get the temp up but then the meat seems overcooked and mushy.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
11-07-2011 12:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply