Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Generator Care
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Generator Care
This is the post I wish I would have read last year.
Many of us use the nifty Honda EU2000i and EU1000i generators for contest cooking as well as around home/camp use. But there's one weak point most people are not aware of.
My trouble started last summer while running my Traeger COM200 at a scout camp. Having a travel trailer with AC, I opted for two EU 2000is run in parallel so I would always have a backup. The first cook went OK but when I went to start the generator the next day, it wouldn't fire. I switched to the backup generator but after shutting down it also refused to start that evening. Thinking a got bad gas in the tank, I drained the tanks, bled the carburetor bowls and refueled. But still no start on either. After a $300.00 bill at the repair shop, the facts came to light.
These new age Honda generators have very little clearance on the intake valve stems and the least amount of varnish build up will cause them the seize. Honda knows about this problem and has published a service bulletin on how to break down the engine, apply heat using a heat gun to free the valve. They suggest that major brand gas be used along with a gas stabilizer. Most auto parts stores will sell you a $6.00 bottle that will treat 20 gallons of gas.
Before storing my generators this year I ran them on a heavy load with this mixture. The load I put on them was 750 large Christmas lights on my big tree.
I now keep two 5 gallon containers full of this treated gas just for the generators. While this adds to the cost of the gas, it's nothing close to the $300.00 this lesson cost me.
12-27-2009 02:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Generator Care
Larry-san,
Domo arigato gozaimasu. (Thank you very much)
I left mine with the motor home, but I'll pass the word on to my son.
Any brand of stabilizer work? Like Sta-bil?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-27-2009 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply