Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New UDS
dousley Offline
"Roll Tide"

New UDS
Im looking for a couple of food grade drums to build be 2 smokers, I got 2 months to burn my butts before sam's
Any body have ideas please let me know

Thanks
Billy Bobs BBQ
aka Don Ousley

Don Ousley
CBJ
01-24-2013 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: New UDS
Go to Wasatch Supply on http://www.wasatchsupply.com/contact/ they are on the North Frontage road and on the West of Bangerter Highway.

They have 55 Gallon drums, reconditioned for I think $46 and new for about $65, they also have 85 Gallon ones for just over $100.

If you get the 55 gallon ones, then you can get all the parts at Lowes or Home Depot, if you go with the 85 gallon ones, you can order the grates from Ace Hardware, order online and ship to the nearest store. Grates for the 55 are 23.5" and for the 85 gallon are 26"

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-24-2013 02:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dousley Offline
"Roll Tide"

Thank you Sir

Don Ousley
CBJ
01-24-2013 03:02 PM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

The Great Harvest on Redwood and 6325 south has HONEY barrels about that size.............

David Grover
Smoking on the "Yellow Submarine"
Peace Heart BBQ

Utah BBQ Managing Member / Certified KCBS Judge
01-24-2013 03:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dousley Offline
"Roll Tide"

Thank you for that idea

Don

Don Ousley
CBJ
01-24-2013 06:20 PM
SmokemifUGotem Offline

(01-24-2013 02:38 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Go to Wasatch Supply on http://www.wasatchsupply.com/contact/ they are on the North Frontage road and on the West of Bangerter Highway.

They have 55 Gallon drums, reconditioned for I think $46 and new for about $65, they also have 85 Gallon ones for just over $100.

If you get the 55 gallon ones, then you can get all the parts at Lowes or Home Depot, if you go with the 85 gallon ones, you can order the grates from Ace Hardware, order online and ship to the nearest store. Grates for the 55 are 23.5" and for the 85 gallon are 26"

I am looking to build my own UDS and have gone and talked to Wasatch Supply about getting some of their 55 gallon reconditioned drums. I asked them if the liner was removed during the reconditioning process but they didn't have an answer for me. Do you know if the liner is gone or do I still need to try and burn it out? I would prefer to not sandblast since everywhere I have talked to charges more than I'm willing to pay.
01-30-2013 03:34 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I think on the reconditioned barrels it should be gone, I know on the 85 Gallon salvage barrels it's not there, that was one reason I was happy to buy them!

I think NDG bought some 55's, I'll message him and see what he says.

I' would perhaps just drive to Wasatch Supply if you are close by, and ask to see one of the 55 gallon drums without it's lid, you could get a quick answer that way too!

If it has a liner you might as well by a food grade for less than 1/2 the price.

Check out these from KSL.

You sometimes see them with flat heads and food grade with no liner. It's why I like the ones from Wasatch as they cost more but come clean and ready to turn into a UDS.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=2338481 try these call them and ask about the lining.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21459151 I bought some of these last year as ash barrels, I can't remember if they are lined... I think they were. But give Bryan a call he kindly met me at North Salt Lake and is willing to work with you, if you order 4 or more.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
01-30-2013 05:15 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

A week ago NPS had some new heavy duty ones, might be still there call and ask, I think that they were $50.00. They were on the industrial side.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-30-2013 05:36 PM
SmokemifUGotem Offline

(01-30-2013 05:36 PM)T Wrote:  A week ago NPS had some new heavy duty ones, might be still there call and ask, I think that they were $50.00. They were on the industrial side.

Thanks for the responses. I called on those KSL adds and was going to use them if I couldn't find anything else, but then learned of Wasatch Supply through my butcher. I also called NPS about a month ago as T mentioned but then they didn't have any in stock. I'll run by today and see if they have any. I currently have a Weber bullet 18.5, which works great but there is something appealing to me about making my own and trying to do it as low cost as possible. I have some ideas i want to try, like making the fire basket raise up to turn it into more of a grill when needed.

Again, thanks for the responses. I joined the forum just yesterday and look forward to participating in the discussions around here.
01-31-2013 09:23 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I cook on a WSM, a small offset, and UDS's... the UDS's win out 95% of the time as choice to cook in, for ease of use and capacity they are hard to beat, while staying away from the dark side of BBQ, (the pellet poopers)! Wink

01-31-2013 02:56 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Nice to meet ya today, and thanks for stopping by the Q4UBBQTRUCK.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-31-2013 11:20 PM
SmokemifUGotem Offline

New UDS
It was nice to meet you too. I gotta say, that was a great pulled pork sandwich and I loved the sauce. I'm sure I'll be back for more.
01-31-2013 11:50 PM