Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ guru on a UDS
Dale Offline

BBQ guru on a UDS
Has anyone used a guru on a UDS? Looking at a Christmas present for myself, and want to know if they are worth the cash.

UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-10-2013 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtis Nations Offline
Managing Member

BBQ guru on a UDS
Do you have trouble keeping temp on your drum?
12-11-2013 01:07 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: BBQ guru on a UDS
(12-10-2013 10:07 PM)Dale Wrote:  Looking at a Christmas present for myself, and want to know if they are worth the cash.

The guru or the UDS?

They are both worth it, but if you are running your UDS correctly then you don't need a guru on it, and if you do need a guru on it, it's probably not running right, or not going to run any righter with a guru on it.

Just my opinions! Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-11-2013 01:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

I have never used a Guru on a drum or had any problems keeping a steady temp on one.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-11-2013 10:09 AM
Dale Offline

I have a drum that I love, but my constancy is hit and miss. Sounds like I'm doing something wrong. I will fill my basket with unlit charcoal and a few chunks of wood then dump 10 to 12 lit charcoals on top with all four of my bottom vents open. As I approach 200 I close two vents, at 210 I close one vent and use the ball valve to dial in 225 of around there. I close the valve before taking the top off, and leave it closed for about ten min after putting the lid back on. It dose ok for the most part just thought it would be nice for over night cooks and I could get more sleep? Any advice on improvements I could make would be appreciated. I am getting some fire place rope to make a tighter seal on the lid.

12-11-2013 10:55 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You might be a little low aiming for 225°, at some point run the pit as you have been, but allow it to run on one vent or valve fully open, 3/4 open and 1/2 open. To be able to see where the range is for your pit.

You will probably find it stable between 250 and 265° on a single vent (fully open), as long as you make sure the lid is tightly seated.

With a full charcoal basket, you will get anything from 12 - 18 hours of cooking time on a 55 gallon UDS, on a larger UDS you'll get about 1/3rd less time.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
12-11-2013 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dale Offline

Thanks I will try that this weekend after I seal the lid better. Just let the thing run without messing around with it. Another questioning my UDS, how often and how to I clean it. I noticed the lid and the sides getting flaky build up on it That I don't want on my food.
Thanks for all the help guys!!

12-11-2013 02:12 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Each of my UDS's has one position that the lid fits just right, and 349° of the circle where it doesn't fit just right!

Hit the lid and the sides with a weed burner, then go after the flakes with a paint scrapper or a wire wheel, I do that every 3rd or 4th cook.

12-11-2013 02:36 PM
bbqpitstop Offline

I've LOVED using BBQ Guru's on everything pit I've used them on. I used them on Big Green Eggs, Assassin gravity feed smokers, and Off Set Smokers. They're Magic! They maintain temperature better than anything I've used. On my Eggs and Gravity feed they'll maintain temperature to within 1 or 2 degrees!
12-11-2013 02:55 PM
Smokin Flyers Offline

I let my UDS run about 325-350

G&L Barbeque Powered by:
Stump Classic
3 - Ugly Drum Smokers
22.5 Weber
Traeger Jr.
Sponsored by: Bagley Ice, 9th South Big O Tires, Schmidt Body and Paint
Main Street Meat 2685 South Main St. SLC
12-11-2013 03:13 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

I've used a PartyQ on my UDs and it has been steady temps. I bought it at BBQ PitStop

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
12-12-2013 11:09 PM
Dale Offline

(12-11-2013 02:36 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Each of my UDS's has one position that the lid fits just right, and 349° of the circle where it doesn't fit just right!

Hit the lid and the sides with a weed burner, then go after the flakes with a paint scrapper or a wire wheel, I do that every 3rd or 4th cook.

Cleaned my UDS like you said, do I need to reseason it. Cooked some monik balls Sunday and they had funky bitter taste to them. My smoker also fell below 200 for the first while because my grate was cold from stiting outside. Don't know if that might have been my problem. Hate to waste moink balls.

12-23-2013 02:12 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The funky taste is probably the below 200 drop, anytime your fuel and smoke wood smolders you stand a good chance of a bad taste.

I allow 30 - 40 minutes to get the pit temperature stabilized, before I put the meat on!

12-23-2013 07:15 PM
Dale Offline

SoEzzy thanks for all the help. Smoked bacon last nigh, temp held great with new gasket in the lid. Best of all the funky taste is gone!!! Thanks again for all your help I might get the hang of this sooner or later. I really appreciate it.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 26.29 KB / Downloads: 60)

12-24-2013 07:18 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You're very welcome, even on contests that you don't cook next season, (and I hope there will be few that you don't cook), come out on Friday evening, hang, ask questions, there's some good looking Bacon just in time for Xmas! Wink

12-24-2013 09:14 AM
Dale Offline

I'm getting this drum figured out. Two weekends ago I smoked a pork but and my temps stayed within 30 degrees for eleven hours. Last weekend I smoked three racks of ribs, just like Steve at the pit stop taught me, and the temps stayed constant. The problem I am having now is when I first put the meat on after letting my drum come to temp and settle in for around 45 min, the temp drops and it takes me 30 to 45 min to get it back in the 240 range. Is there a trick to keeping the temps constant when putting the meat on? I even let the meat sit out while my drum temps level out. Would it help to put more holes in the top of my lid, I only have the 2" stack now?

02-05-2014 10:00 PM