Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
smoking ban to be proposed!
Brdprey Offline

smoking ban to be proposed!
Undecided
how will that affect the restaraunts and those that use trucks as their mobile food source? how will it affect the competitions? how will it affect us when we smoke our meats at home?

http://fox13now.com/2013/10/02/utah-doct...ning-wood/

and

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=27988881

SALT LAKE CITY — With snow on the ground, a high-pressure system perched over the Wasatch Front and frigid cold, conditions have merged to produce the ideal cocktail for the season's first inversion to swoop in.

Even though pollution levels have not reached the federal standard for unhealthy, the Utah Division of Air Quality has instituted burning restrictions for fireplaces and wood-burning stoves and is asking motorists to reduce travel.

"Wood burning does contribute significantly to the poor air quality, so Salt Lake and Davis county residents are not allowed to burn," said Donna Kemp Spangler from the Utah Dept. of Environmental Quality.

In addition to Salt Lake and Davis counties, Utah, Weber and Cache counties also have mandatory restrictions on wood-burning stoves. Box Elder and Uintah counties are voluntary and the other counties in the state do not have any restrictions at this time.

Spangler said the early mandatory actions represent this year's first rollout of reforms instituted to the "green, yellow, red" alert system used by the division to advise residents on air quality conditions.

"Even though we remain in the yellow air quality, we have a mandatory no burn," Spangler said. "What we are trying to do is be proactive and tell people that air quality conditions are such that they are just going to deteriorate."

The division, she added, is especially urging motorists to take action now to reduce contributions to pollution levels of PM2.5, or fine particulate matter, by using mass transit, carpooling and trip chaining.

"We are sending the message out to be mindful that if you can take transit, do so. Drive smarter, avoid cold starts and trip chain," Spangler said.

The Wasatch Front routinely battles ugly inversions each winter when stagnant air gets trapped on the valley floor and pollution levels spike to unhealthy levels.

Persistent inversion periods have led to calls for action by clean air advocates and spawned a flurry of legislation efforts to tackle the problem, which often lands Utah on unenviable lists of having the "dirtiest" air in the country.

An economic development task force identified air quality as the most pressing problem facing the state, and Gov. Gary Herbert this fall announced the formation of a clean air action team to come up with recommendations to curtail pollution.

In his budget proposal unveiled this month, Herbert called for spending $18 million on air quality improvements.

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=27988881...tO0glMR.99
01-20-2014 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: smoking ban to be proposed!
If they ban everything that isn't good for you, and everyone else, we will sit indoors cook in the ovens, and use liquid smoke imported from China!

They have so far never banned burning completely, partially because wildfires, and burning in nature are part of the Rocky Mountain west.

They have occasionally put burn bans in place on fires, not for the smoke but for the cinder danger of starting wildfires.

We haven't had it affect competitions yet, but there was talk a few years ago of needing spark arresters on pit chimneys.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-20-2014 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

I can't see were these rules affect outdoor cooking. As far as I can tell our cookers are classified as Charbroilers.

http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Planning/...9-2014.pdf
01-20-2014 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Glad I don't burn wood, I burn pellets. OOPS! Did I just say that out loud?

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 06:04 PM by Larry Jacobs.)
01-20-2014 06:04 PM
glenntm Offline

(01-20-2014 06:04 PM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  Glad I don't burn wood, I burn pellets. OOPS! Did I just say that out loud?

We have the no burn days all the time in Arizona. Smokers are exempt from the ban since you are cooking food.
01-21-2014 11:52 AM