Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mark Miller Spring Fling.
Gary Nelson Offline

Mark Miller Spring Fling.
As a judge today I saw some chicken with spotty or gloopy sauce. Is gloopy a word? That took the appearance score down.
When the box came around for us to take a sample, I noticed some sauce on the lid. I'm guessing that is what caused the "spotty or gloopy" look. I can't change my score at that point.
Could this be caused by to much garnish making the chicken "too tall" in the box to make it touch the lid?
IDK, just a thought.

Gary
KCBS Certified Judge
UTBBQ Certified Judge
03-29-2014 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Mark Miller Spring Fling.
Often the garnish height makes a big difference, and that can cause the chicken or ribs to ride higher than they ought to, for a good or great box.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
03-29-2014 11:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Just wondering. Why can't you change any score before you turn in your card?

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
03-30-2014 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

What if the box got handled incorrectly by the table captain... And they chicken bumped the box...?

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
03-30-2014 10:21 AM
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

How does something taste fishy/propane when neither or is used and propane is a tasteless gas anyway?

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
03-30-2014 03:53 PM
Out West Smokers Offline

Or how can you taste sauce and no meat when no sauce was used only salt & pepper

Offset Small Block Smoker
03-30-2014 05:06 PM
Gary Nelson Offline

Larry, because i'm not exactly sure which box had the sauce on the lid.Some of them did and some of them did not.
Jessie, that is exactly what I was thinking.Somewhere between boxed up,runner,turn in table and judges table something could have caused the chicken to touch the lid. IDK.
James, once in a great while we get a small taste of fish with the CRP orB.I didn't get that this time. About the propane, IDK.
Out West, IDK. That's just crazy.
Could too much garnish cause the meat to touch the lid? That's why I started this. If any cook wants to ask a judge a question I will help as best as I can.

Gary
KCBS Certified Judge
UTBBQ Certified Judge
03-30-2014 07:18 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

(03-30-2014 07:18 PM)Gary Nelson Wrote:  Could too much garnish cause the meat to touch the lid? That's why I started this.

Yes it sure can and does. In a class many of us took the instructor showed how he builds a golf green out of parsley then sets the meat on top. This raises it quite a bit and though it looks great, you do run that lid touch risk.
Others place the meat directly in the box then build salad around it.
Still others do that but first put a blanket of shredded lettuce on the box bottom.
With the number of loose cannons at the judging tables....there's no telling what's going to score.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
03-30-2014 08:41 PM
snikkidee Offline

I spoke with some of the judges on sat on how they feel about the sauce on the top of the box and whether they score down for that, as ac competitor I was curious. In general the answer was no, they understand the intent was NOT to touch the top of the box, but you can't always plan for that. This was my first weekend running the Rep side - and as careful as we were NOT to jostle anything, not to bounce spin or otherwise disturb the contents of the boxes - I was surprised at how many still had sauce marks on top. I know the competitors ought to check their boxes for height, and I know the judging side is as careful as they can be. but it still happens. As far as appearance goes - its not a rule NOT to mark down for sauce marks, but I like that some judges don't. As for "gloopy" - I'd mark that under taste, depending on my preferences for/against sauce.
03-31-2014 08:20 AM
snikkidee Offline

I am going to comment on "fishy" because 1) I did NOT judge on Sat, I was the rep. 2) I only tasted a few leftovers 3) I have no idea who's was who's, and it was more than one box, and more than one meat.

I was asked how to score this(after scores had been turned in) - since there were leftovers in the boxes I tasted it and promptly spit it out. I do not know HOW or WHAT in a smoker could make a piece of pork or brisket taste like fish, but they did. and I don't mean "of fish" or a "hint of" - it tasted like fish. There was a second box of pork that was also fishy, and a brisket as well. I would have judged it a 4-5 as inedible, based on my reaction.

This is my honest take on it after is was judged. I'm not trying to start anything or cause trouble. but I want the competitors to know that if they have cooked fish in their smokers, they need to clean it with an olive oil rub and give it a good burn to get the taste out. If it's something in their rubs or sauces that may have gone rancid, they need to look at that too - any rancid oil could give off that fishy/gassy taste.
03-31-2014 08:37 AM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

The only time I have heard of their meat tasting like fish is when people cook fish in there smoker.

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
03-31-2014 10:59 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Not having been there but, trust me, I have been cooking longer than most in Utah and from my experience rancid oil could give off a fishy taste. Clean your pits for a pure meat taste, not the taste of something that has been cooked last month! Having been KCBS certified since 2005 by the man himself, a contestant should not be marked down for sauce on the box, because you never know if the person handling the box touched the box etc. Hope this helps?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
03-31-2014 01:36 PM
Mugsy Offline
KCBS Master Judge

Sorry that I couldn't be with you on Saturday but a family matter took precedence.

Saucy box-tops: As noted above, the turn-in team and the Table Captains do their best to bring your submissions to the table looking as they did when you lovingly closed that lid. Alas, many's the reasons why a carefully prepared work of culinary art may grace inside the top of its styrofoam confines, most of which not the fault of the aforementioned loving lid-closer. Bread trays, not mindful of the dimensions of turn-in boxes, often require that boxes must be stacked in order to deliver the full complement to the table to the detriment of the box(es) below them. When I'm presented with a box that has sauce inside the box top, I ignore the areas on the meat(s) under the stains and "see", based on the untouched areas, how the entry was before the lid was first closed. Also noted above, the garnish bed may be too high for the box. One method that I'm seeing more often is a 1/2" center slice of an iceberg head covering the box bottom and parsley or green leaf nests built to fit the meats, but not under the meats.

Changing scores: If I read Gary's posts correctly, he did not see the errant sauce during the Appearance scoring but did later during the distribution. If so, the smearing clearly was done well after the competitor delivered the entry. This will not be a change approved by the contest rep, anyhow, because box top smudges cannot be definitely attributed to the competitor. Scores can be changed but only under a specific protocol. The contest rep must be called in and told why the erroneous score was made (most often it's in the wrong scoring box) and the rep will initial the change on the scorecard.

Gloppy sauce: There are at least two sides to too much sauce (as there is with most things). Taste side: A competitor chooses or creates a sauce to compliment the entry. Since this is a meat contest, overwhelming the entry with a too spicy or just too much sauce leaves little for a judge to judge on how well the meats are prepared. Appearance side: The sauce may enhance or detract from the "can't wait to try that one" thoughts by the judges. I and many judges have often remarked, after we've turned in the scores and discuss the entries, that this entry or that didn't look like much but tasted great or that the entry looked awesome but disappointed in taste, texture or both. You don't have to sauce but it puts that cook at a disadvantage just as garnish is optional but runs the risk of low scores as it's become expected at most contests.
03-31-2014 03:26 PM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

The only time I have ever had a "Fishy" taste on pork was when I had some ribs from Sams that were on clearance, lucky for me I was doing a practice cook. I am not going to say that the pork you were using was spoiled, but may have been on its way out. Just a thought. As for box tops touching, you are NOT to mark down for that, we have no control over what happens to the boxes once we turn them in.

David Grover
Smoking on the "Yellow Submarine"
Peace Heart BBQ

Utah BBQ Managing Member / Certified KCBS Judge
03-31-2014 08:37 PM