Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fume-free Starter Gel
Unregistered

Fume-free Starter Gel
The folks at Packaging Service Co. (makers of Frontier and Jack Daniel's charcoal) sent me a bunch of stuff to review for my blog. Among them, they sent me a bottle of this:

Frontier® Eco-Start® Charcoal Lighter Fuel

[Image: 449194856.jpg]

Eco-Start® is a 100% natural, non-petroleum based lighter gel. It is a safe and clean-fuel alternative to traditional lighter fluid. This earth-friendly gel is made from renewable energy sources. Smokeless and odorless, Eco-Start® keeps fumes out of the cooking area and the petroleum taste away from the food. Since it's a gel, there's no splash when applying or flare-ups when lighting.

I tried it twice this past weekend in a standard Weber chimney and I love the stuff! You add a few coals, lay on a ribbon of the gel (maybe 2-3 tablespoons), then add some more coals and light. There were no fumes and it fired right up.

It's made largely from ethanol and cellulose fiber.

The product is available at the following retailers, at a suggested retail of $4.99-$5.99:

Ace Hardware (and acehardwareoutlet.com)
Brookshire Grocery
Meijer
Raley's
Whole Foods

John
09-02-2009 11:22 AM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Fume-free Starter Gel
PatioDaddio;p="18674 Wrote:The folks at Packaging Service Co. (makers of Frontier and Jack Daniel's charcoal) sent me a bunch of stuff to review for my blog. Among them, they sent me a bottle of this:

Frontier® Eco-Start® Charcoal Lighter Fuel

[Image: 449194856.jpg]

Eco-Start® is a 100% natural, non-petroleum based lighter gel. It is a safe and clean-fuel alternative to traditional lighter fluid. This earth-friendly gel is made from renewable energy sources. Smokeless and odorless, Eco-Start® keeps fumes out of the cooking area and the petroleum taste away from the food. Since it's a gel, there's no splash when applying or flare-ups when lighting.

I tried it twice this past weekend in a standard Weber chimney and I love the stuff! You add a few coals, lay on a ribbon of the gel (maybe 2-3 tablespoons), then add some more coals and light. There were no fumes and it fired right up.

It's made largely from ethanol and cellulose fiber.

I'm told that the product is available at Whole Foods for less than $4 (32oz.). I'm trying to get a complete list of retailers.

John

Why thanks John! I may have to give it a try! You know I am all over the idea of burning off that nasty cellulose fiber :wink: And plus, it dont stink when you do it

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-02-2009 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

FYI - I added the retailers and pricing to the original post.

John
09-02-2009 03:49 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

John...have you noticed any off-color residue or any difference in your ash....(and I did spell it right....A---S---H)....that might be a result of this gel...????
09-02-2009 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Nope. There is a very slight trace of a lemon smell when you first light it, but that's it. I used it again tonight and it worked like a champ. I've lit three chimneys with it and have used maybe 1/10th of the bottle. It certainly beats that newspaper ash flying all over the place.

John
09-02-2009 11:43 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

Thanks for the info......I'll have to check the ace up here to see if they have it....and give you my feed back.....
09-03-2009 12:10 AM