Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best Thermometer?
afrazier5 Offline

Best Thermometer?
I've been doing research on the UDS for several months now. I've seen a number of guys (and gals) who use the standard stick type thermometer to monitor their drums. I'm a guy from the digital age and really like the accuracy of the digital ones. I'm curious what brands of digitials work the best for both chamber and meat temps? I did buy a Taylor brand one from Lowes several weeks back but with poor results. The package didn't indicate what the max temp was and unfortunately will only give me meat temps. It does that part good but I don't think it will last all that long due to the rubberized probe cord.

I'm really open to everyone's thoughts on this!
08-23-2009 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Lots of folks on other boards use the Maverick 73, but I've seen reports of them being a little silly on where the switch is, (inside the battery cover), and also that the switch can be a touch fragile too.

I'm back in the analog age, at $5- $6 for a Turkey Fryer thermometer and $50 or so for a digital, I'll be staying old school for a while! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
08-23-2009 09:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Best Thermometer?
If your looking for a temp gauge for the pit temps on the UDS I highly recommend the 4" stemmed AshCroft found at Grainger Industrial Supply.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
08-26-2009 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Best Thermometer?
I have a Tel-Tru UT-300 (6" stem) in each of my drums and I could not be happier. They are both within maybe 1* of each other when the drums are sitting out in the sun unlit. They've been incredibly accurate and dependable.

FYI - You will need the installation kit.

John
08-26-2009 09:55 AM
Quote this message in a reply