Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheap Charcoal
wbkski Offline

Cheap Charcoal
Hey everyone...

You can pick up 2 20lb bags of Kingsford Original at Sam's club for $12.71. That's a steal. They also have 40lb bag of mesquite lumpwood from Mexico for $14.91.

I bought 4 packs (8 bags) yesterday.
12-19-2010 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Re: Cheap Charcoal
Thanks for posting the heads up! It is always great when guys share good information that can benefit everyone!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-19-2010 12:29 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Cheap Charcoal
Thanks for posting.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
12-20-2010 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huge29 Offline

RE: Cheap Charcoal
I also loaded up from Sam's, they had the match light for about half of the price of the regular; apparently it did not sell well.
06-05-2011 11:14 PM
Huge29 Offline

I see that Sam's has a Mesquite Charcoal Briquets in a 40lb brown bag; anybody use that stuff before? It was only $15, which makes it about half the price of Kingsfords, but I would guess that you get what you par for there???
06-07-2011 12:37 AM
stewartr002 Offline

(06-07-2011 12:37 AM)Huge29 Wrote:  I see that Sam's has a Mesquite Charcoal Briquets in a 40lb brown bag; anybody use that stuff before? It was only $15, which makes it about half the price of Kingsfords, but I would guess that you get what you par for there???

Yeah, I used it once, then threw the rest of the bag away. It had a really strong petroleum odor that transferred to the meat. Might have been a bad bag but I won't buy another one to find out.
Randy
06-07-2011 05:29 PM
Huge29 Offline

(06-07-2011 05:29 PM)stewartr002 Wrote:  Yeah, I used it once, then threw the rest of the bag away. It had a really strong petroleum odor that transferred to the meat. Might have been a bad bag but I won't buy another one to find out.
Randy

I spoke with my smoker mentor today and he indicated that the lump from Sam's is his #1 go to above all other brands and types, he thought the petrol smell could only be from too much fluid?? He uses it regularly.
06-08-2011 06:54 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Get your self a chimney starter.

Or a coffee can full of holes.

Start your charcoal in the chimney starter, with either a weed burner, or a paraffin block, sliver of C4 etc, you don't need to use lighter fluid ever again.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-08-2011 11:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stewartr002 Offline

(06-08-2011 11:09 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Get your self a chimney starter.

Or a coffee can full of holes.

Start your charcoal in the chimney starter, with either a weed burner, or a paraffin block, sliver of C4 etc, you don't need to use lighter fluid ever again.

Thanks Chris. Yes, did use a chimney and no lighter fluid. I still have 90% of that bag. It smells bad when it burns. Pam noticed it right off too. I've used several different brands of lump charcoal and never had one smell that bad when it burns. Nope, can't recommend anyone use it.
Randy
06-08-2011 11:48 PM
Huge29 Offline

Thanks for the input! I had not even thought of the side effects of the fluid, duh!

As for cheap charcoal, Wal-Mart has a deal right now that I noticed in two stores, but likely for a short time. they normally have the Kingsford 16.6 lb bag for $7.48, they now have a double 16.6 bag for $7.50, which is way cheaper than even the Sam's price on a per pound basis.
06-09-2011 11:34 PM