Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Comp
afrazier5 Offline

First Comp
Hi all - wife has been bugging me for a while to enter a competition to see how good I do against the big boys. I'm not sure if she's trying to light a fire under me or if she want's me to get 'burned' and lose interest. Either way, I'm going to do it. I'm working on gathering the materials for for a UDS as my current smoker is a POS.

I would be much obliged to some of the more experience folk here to give a newbie some tips and advice for his first comp. I'm not going to do any this year as I want to play around the UDS and get used to it first. But next year am looking at entering one or two. I see where most people have entire teams. Can it be done solo and if not, why? Looking for any other guiding tips anyone feels like dropping my way so I can spend the fall and winter preparing...

Aaron
07-30-2009 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: First Comp
Aaron - I wrote a series of "Competition BBQ 101" blog posts that were designed to try to help new competitors. I certainly hope you find that to be the case. Competing solo is definitely doable. I do most of my comps alone.

The Gear

How It Goes Down

Tips For Success

Q & A With a First-Time Competitor

I wish you the best,
John
07-30-2009 02:53 PM
Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Also a good way to start, I think John might mention this, is to find a team to tag along with for a comp or two...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
07-30-2009 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Huh? Never! Dive in head first. I recommend finding a 30+ team state championship with the likes of Packer, Otis & The Bird, and Utah Smoke (T). That's an ideal learning environment for your first. :shock: :wink:

I kid, of course. Yes, Sampson has a good point. Too bad I didn't know about it until much later. Big Grin

John
07-30-2009 03:21 PM
afrazier5 Offline

If I really wanted to dive in head first with a pool of pirana's I'd just drive to the office for the day :wink:

John - thanks for the newbie tips on your site. It was very easy to follow and understand. I've personally never attended a comp as a spectator or otherwise but being from the Kansas City area, I think I was just born with that special Q-gene. If any of you well seasoned vets wouldn't mind showing a guy the ropes, PM me and let me know. Would be good to see the real behind the scenes of a big event like the upcoming Rock n Ribs!

As a side note, I think I may have found my barrel. A guy down in Pleasant Grove has a few lined and unlined ones. The unlined ones are $10 with lids so will try and get down and pick them up tomorrow. I'll have to burn them out as they are painted on the inside but the paint should be much easier to burn off than the lined ones. My wife thinks I'm crazy for building a new grill but I convinced her long ago I wasn't sane Big Grin
07-30-2009 05:01 PM
Jaybird Offline

Just tell her Jaybird has 24 of 'em....but he's not addicted...and you wouldn't be lying either. :wink:

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
07-30-2009 06:07 PM
afrazier5 Offline

Picked up my barrel today over at Wasatch Barrel. I got one of the refurb ones but has a painted rust inhibitor on the inside. I know I'll have to burn this off and picked up some old scrap pallets over at Standard Pallets to do the duty.
07-31-2009 12:11 PM
afrazier5 Offline

Finally got around to finishing up my UDS today. Was able to locate an old kettle grill thanks to Tuff (thanks dude) so I got my dome lid all worked out. It's not a completely tight seal but after doing a small test burn, it seemed to keep quite well. I started out with all vents open for about 30 mins then closed it all up and within an hour, was totally snuffed out and cold. Amazing how this works!

I think this weekend I'll pick up a small butt and give it a test run...

UDS pics - Facebook
08-07-2009 08:02 PM
Unregistered

The very best way to learn is to sign up for a Judge class and you will see how the food is prepared. This will give an idea at least what they are looking for at a comp.

Just my opinion,

Stoneman
08-07-2009 09:09 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

afrazier5. Northwest Events will be having a CBJ class here on the 20th! A great opportunity to learn

Cyclops is the go to guy! I will call him today, and see if all the info is ready or close to being posted

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
08-08-2009 08:35 AM
afrazier5 Offline

Thanks Packer and Stone - I'll await your information
08-08-2009 11:12 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Aaron, call me on my cell.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
08-08-2009 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply