Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Minutes from July 21, 2009 Board Meeting
BBQMama Offline

Minutes from July 21, 2009 Board Meeting
Below are the minutes from the Utah BBQ Association Board meeting on July 21, 2009. If you have any modifications to or questions about the minutes, please contact me directly via PM and I will clarify and/or correct the information.

1) Investigations continue into potential for legal action against the past president of the board who allegedly misappropriated association funds. We are clarifying the status of the original organization to determine whether it was held as a sole proprietorship. If it was a solely owned business, legal action may be difficult as the funds would have been technically available for sole use.

2) We will be determining the steps required to set up the Association as a legally recognized non-profit organization with Bylaws outlining the handling of all funds, voting, membership, etc.

3) The financial status of the association will be made public through a quarterly reporting to all members. Financial records will be available at each board meeting for any members present to review.

4) NO disbursements will be made from association funds without prior approval of the Board. Emergency expenditures will require approval of at least one other board member and will be fully accounted for at the next Board meeting.

5) The domain registration for the website will expire on October 28th. The Board is approaching the person who currently owns the registration to determine whether we can sign over ownership of the domain and prevent any interruption of the current domain. If we are unable to obtain a signed release of the domain, the domain name will be available for public renewal 60 days after the current registration expires. The Board will begin pursuing the acquisition of an alternate domain name if it becomes necessary.

6) The Board is investigating the current status of the Associations business license and logo registration. We will be contacting the Tax Commission and determining whether we can transfer the current license to the new non-profit organization.

7) We have received the initial $5000 payment from the SLC Corporation for half of the prize money to be paid out for Rock 'n Ribs. At this time we have also received paid registrations for 3 teams for Rock 'n Ribs. Brian Baity is setting up a new checking account for the organization and these funds will be deposited into this account.

8) Hotel rooms at the downtown SLC Marriott are available at a reduced rate for Rock 'n Ribs. We have 10 rooms available on Friday night and 5 rooms for Saturday night. The rooms are $79/night. We encourage all those who will be competing at Rock 'n Ribs who want to reserve rooms to do it soon so we can secure additional rooms if needed.

9) There was considerable discussion about events that the association could participate in next year to increase exposure and membership. These include participation in local city festivals throughout the area, a "refresher" course for all certified judges, and the potential for smaller events that could attract new teams. We will begin investigating these possibilities after the competition season winds down in October. Any suggestions from the membership would be appreciated.

10) Association membership drive will begin after the new checking account and organization filing are complete.

11) The association continues to be approached about participating in events. We are working on defining a standard percentage to charge organizers for the association to set up and run competitions.

12) It is with great sadness and gratitude that we announce the resignation of Lyle Earl as the President of the Board. Lyle needs to be able to focus on family and work issues. He will continue to be involved on the Board and in the association in the organization and running of events. Other duties that he has been performing will be split up among several Board members until such time as a new President can be appointed. Lyle has done a wonderful job in his time as President and we express our thanks to him for his service to this association.

-- Submitted for review of the board and membership on July 22, 2009

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
07-22-2009 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Great Job Carla. Thank You.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
07-22-2009 11:42 PM
Unregistered

Re: Minutes from July 21, 2009 Board Meeting
Great job, indeed. Now those are some minutes! They are informative, yet very clean and succinct.

John
07-23-2009 12:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Sorry we weren't able to attend. My work schedule has been flipped upside-down. Great job guys. Thanks for your time Lyle, and hope everything works out.

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
07-23-2009 10:34 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks to Lyle for all he's done. And thanks to all of the board members for their continued efforts. We would be nothing without people like you volunteering their time.

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
07-23-2009 12:53 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I would like to echo John and Sampson. Both comments were right on!

In addition I would like to say that I am most excited to see #2 and #9 on that list of notes. Those 2 items are exactly the focus and direction that the association needs.

Thank you!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
07-23-2009 01:11 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Refresh my memory...... The BOD of the UBBQA names are.......
Refering to #12 on the minutes........ Why an appointee vs elected by the membership?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
07-23-2009 03:03 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="17824 Wrote:Why an appointee vs elected by the membership?

Cuz the only way to get someone to do it is to tell them they just got appointed! Who in their right mind wants the job? Little or no thanks when things go right and you're a sack of crap when things go wrong. I'm on two different BOD's and do it because few others are willing and the job needs done, but to aspire to being on a BOD is the one of the first signs of insanity :shock:

Besides, how many peeps are actually paid members at this point? Two maybe three...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
07-23-2009 03:33 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I guess when I read #2 about voting I assumed it in part meant voting in board members and other offices or positions within the organization.

Sampson you bring up a good point, I don't think there would be many that would campaign for positions, but perhaps a nomination process followed by a vote by members...

I thought we had alot of members pay for a membership last year. I also thought that this year paying for a membership was on hold for a new checking account and to sort out that area. (I know Gene has asked several times about renewing the membership and he has been told to hold on). So I would think that if you paid last year that membership would still be in effect until they are ready to take renewals again.

If any of the above isn't accurate, somone in the know is welcome to clarify.

Thanks!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
07-24-2009 08:05 AM
Swine Steward Offline

For all of those members who participated in this meeting: A job well done! Looks like you guys and gals really took care of business that night.

To the BOD, PM me if there's anything I can do to assist from way over here in Idaho. I'm with Sampson, if you want things done its better to volunteer to help.
07-26-2009 05:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Board meeting Tuesday 21st July 6:00 PM SoEzzy 10 1,870 07-22-2009 11:25 AM
Last Post: LH1440