Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Been grinning ever since!
T Offline
Posting Freak

Been grinning ever since!
Yo, today was my first day of baking a pound cake after having the learning curve blown away yesterday by Matt. The cat is a super teacher of the art of pot cooking. I had never baked a thing in one until yesterday's bread, he then told Brian and myself your ready now, well along with his blessings I went shopping today for the goods for a pound cakes ingredients. As I was shopping Jim Monihan called and we both cracked up, yo Jim check it out! I remembered everything that Matt taught us just as if he was standing there. The results of my first bake are below and I guarantee it will not be my last. Thanks again Matt!

In little area
[Image: P1030781640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030782640x480.jpg]

Ready
[Image: P1030783640x480.jpg]

Boy I had a smile on my face like I got hit in the mouth with an ax!

[Image: P1030784640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030785640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030786640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030787640x480.jpg]

Darn that's good!

[Image: P1030792640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030791640x480.jpg]

A little strawberry's and our homemade rum sauce.

[Image: P1030795640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030797640x480-1.jpg]

[Image: P1030793640x480.jpg]

Cris (Soezzy) came by and slammed a piece sorry I didn't even have a chance to get a picture of it, but it did happen.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-28-2009 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuetz Offline

looks very good wehn u gonna make me up some huh (ps this is rob)
06-28-2009 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DOBBQ Offline
Account not Activated

Very nice work T!
Some say that cakes and pastries are the hardest to be successful at, looks like a "cake walk in the park" for you...Pun intended.
06-28-2009 05:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

It was the best pound cake I've eaten, though I didn't take a picture of me eating it, so perhaps it never happened.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-28-2009 05:56 PM
Arlie Bragg Offline

Re: Been grinning ever since!
Hope you are sending me a slice of that?

Arlie
06-28-2009 06:44 PM
Unregistered

What is the book that Matt wrote! I am thinking some home made ice cream, strawberries and dutch oven pound cake!

Soezzy, I am sure you didn't eat any if you don't have pictures.

Stoneman
06-28-2009 09:27 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Grill Sargent Offline

T.....does this mean you are going to pass on the knowledge..... :wink: .....from the look of the bread and now that cake.....mmmmmmmmm......and we have ice cream and bananas....what a combination that would make.....
06-28-2009 10:07 PM
Phred Offline

Awesome T, looks wonderful. Welcome to the world of dutch oven cooking, I'm sure you will find it's a lot of fun.

Phred
06-28-2009 10:45 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

T, Looks great! I hope you will be bringing this to our potlucks!
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-29-2009 08:08 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, have always wanted to bake in the dutch oven, but never ran into the right teacher. Everyone in the past tried to make it sound like you had to be a rocked scientist to do it except for Gene and Brenda who offered, but we got rained out on the weekend that we had planned last year. I took a basic class where I learned to use the cake mix out of a box and dump the cherries out ect, but to me there was no challenge. I was asked why did I wait so long, well it has been my experience that there are teachers, and there are teachers if you know what I mean. Matt has a style that makes you comfortable from jump, and his secret tips are word. Today I will do some Jalapeno corn bread that I have been wanting to do in a dutch oven for awhile. A pot of pinto beans were cooked yesterday. I can't wait to partner the corn bread with what I think is some stopping chili. I will make the cake at the next pot luck Mike. As you can tell I am excited about my new found area in cooking and most of all I can honestly represent my sponsors Camp Chef with there products. As Brian said he was some what intimidated by the thought of it and truthfully I in some ways was there as well, jump out there and go for it, sure I'll help ya. Have a great day

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-29-2009 08:50 AM
Unregistered

That is some seriously fine lookin' cake, T! It looks like it came straight out of a cake pan. Good on ya!

John
06-29-2009 10:36 AM
Three4Que Offline

T are ya going to start teaching Dutch Oven classes as well? Man both the cake and bread looked great!!!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
06-29-2009 11:54 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, as I said today I was going to try a Jalapeno corn bread recipe that I've had for awhile. I also said that I was going to eat it with the pinto beans, well the boss had a change in plans for me as you will see. Once again the cook was great and I have continued grin on my face. I read once in Sunset Magazine about six years ago when they interviewed a champion dutch over cook and she said when you don't burn the bottom of the bread your there, so that has been my goal. As in BBQ I cook to satisfy myself, me against the meat, now it's me against the bread LOL! I someone wants the recipe PM me and I'll be glad to share it?

This is the very beginning
[Image: P1030798640x480.jpg]

This bad boy is ready
[Image: P1030799640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030800640x480.jpg]

Just like I was taught to do
[Image: P1030801640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030804640x480.jpg]

Here is a little butter with honey and lime zest to spread on the corn bread yum, yum. Didn't really go with pinto beans anyway.

[Image: P1030805640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030808640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030807640x480.jpg]

The boss fixed real garlic mashed potatoes topped with rich brown gravy and meat loaf for lunch today.

[Image: P1030810640x480.jpg]

[Image: P1030811640x480.jpg]

When It's said and done, the pinto beans can wait. Everyone have a great week. Thanks again Matt.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-29-2009 02:54 PM
Arlie Bragg Offline

I want it, I have a DO 14 and want to try it this weekend, did you do it with charcoal or propane. Thanks you best friend AQ
06-29-2009 03:43 PM
Unregistered

I think I know why she x-ed the beans on you!

Stoneman
06-29-2009 03:47 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

You know pics like that on this site are one of the reasons I'm so danged fat! I'm starving after looking at that...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-29-2009 05:17 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Arlie, is your D.O. one of those South Pittsburg made ones? Big Grin That's in Tennessee, not Pennsylvania or China folks. From the looks of it I'd venture T did it in a 12" oven. Just increase the ingredients by 1/2. Technique is the same. If I was doing it on a table like his, I'd do 8-9 Kingsford coals under the 14" pot in a circle just under the bottom and ring the outer edge of the lid with charcoal, and with your lower elevation slide about 4 of the ones on the lid toward the center. Out here in Gods country @ 4500' I'd put 8 under and probably 20 on the lid. Elevation slows cooking down somewhat. That's shooting for about 400 degrees. Now here is the most important part, imho. About every 10 minutes or so, turn the lid 1/4 turn either cw or ccw, and then the whole oven 1/4 the turn same direction. This will keep any hot spots from getting the breads to dark. AKA burning :x

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-29-2009 06:04 PM
tex-mex / Idaho Offline

I never worry about rotating the pot as it is cooking, just set mt coals and leave it alone............

omar
06-29-2009 09:25 PM
Cyclops Offline

1st. solo effort! Golden honey brown all over! No hint of char! I detect a tad of that famous bread pudding glaze in those strawberries. Holy Smokolas! That looks just like heaven! And the cornbread? Doggone it! Is there anything you can't do?
The downside of this little venture is that you are gonna be one busy little bee at the next pot luck! Pound cake, cornbread, AND those potatoes? Great job brother!

Life Is A Team Sport
06-29-2009 11:23 PM
Brian Offline

Just for those who are following this, Kingsford is not the only charcoal in the world. The bread we cooked on Saturday for our class was cooked on Rancher Charcoal and Matt commented that that these are some damn good coals. We did not mess with the lid or the pot at all. we just set it and forgot it like George Foreman and the pellet pooper cooks.

It ain't rocket science

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
06-30-2009 10:19 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well, that's great. I have never had a problem using the technique I described earlier. So I guess do what works for you. That is the way my mentor, the late Val Cowley, instructed his classes for 20+ years and like I said, it works for me. EOS

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-30-2009 10:34 AM
The Cast Iron Chef-Chef M Offline

Well T, I have to say that I had a lot fun hanging out with y'all on Saturday. From the looks of things, you're getting it down pretty good. We'll have to do it again soon and invite some more folks who are interested in learning. Next time we can play around with some meat an dessert dishes in the black pots!
06-30-2009 08:35 PM
bbqguy123 Offline

Dutch Oven cook out?
Any plans for a Dutch Oven cook out in the back of Q4U? I got my pot ready and a lot easier to schlep then a 55 gal drum.

Sheldon
07-09-2009 09:14 AM