Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about ugly drumn
Phred Offline

Question about ugly drumn
When I built my drum I placed the grill 21" above the charcoal basket, after I did that I then read that 24" is the recommended height. Do you recommend moving it or is the 21" adequate?

Phred
06-11-2009 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

If you're cooking 225 - 275 I'd say you'll be good to go as is, if you're getting it much past 300 I'd think about moving it higher after you've cooked on it and see the results.

Don't forget you don't have to load the charcoal basket all the way to the top, so the real height is not necessarily the height you've measured.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-11-2009 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tuff Offline

Sounds like you built your own. I would like to build one. Where did you get your plans?
06-11-2009 02:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Re: Question about ugly drumn
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436">http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436</a><!-- m -->

It's now more than 3300 post s long, it was only about 2500 when I read my way through it!

I've since built 3 and have the makings for 2 more ready to roll.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
06-11-2009 03:46 PM
Phred Offline

SoEzzy, where are you getting your drums? I went through the pain of burning and sanding out my first one. Now that I've had the experience I really don't want to go through that again.

Thanks,

Phred

Tuff, I got my plans off of the BBQ brethren's site referenced above.
06-14-2009 01:45 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Mine are food grade but they have the epoxy spray in liners that need burning out.

I was looking into media blasting, you can create a media blasting set up for a couple of hundred dollars, if you've got the room and temperament to use it, I really think it would be the way to go if you're making a few UDS's or have things that need scrubbing off and repainting.

06-14-2009 02:02 PM
Hintzes Hog Offline

I got my last barrels at wasatch supply and barrel in salt lake they ran about $75.00 and were brand new never had anything in them. price included lid and lock ring. A small price to pay to get away from the burning and grinding...they are located at 370 West 900 south and their number is 801-363-1933
06-14-2009 05:12 PM
Three4Que Offline

Sean the drums you picked up, they didn't have any coating at all on the inside did they? What kind of prep work did you have to do to start working on them?

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
06-14-2009 05:15 PM
Hintzes Hog Offline

The barrels didn't have anything on the inside. just raw steel. no prep necessary the lid has a gasket that is rubber glued to the lid that just peels off. other than that they are ready to go...I used a few ideas on line to base mine off of but have done a few things different to suit me and the way I like to use them.
06-15-2009 07:39 AM
Phred Offline

Thanks gentlemen for the info.

Phred
06-15-2009 08:58 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Just one more vote for new drums, never ever again will I clean out a used one... to do it properly took me most of an afternoon and lots of mess

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-17-2009 08:41 AM
Unregistered

I would get the 85 gallon barrel. Gives you more height from the basket and more area for cooking.

Stoneman
06-17-2009 09:27 PM
Quote this message in a reply