Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Big Cook
wallywombat Offline

A Big Cook
Well I have started off on my biggest cook to date. I am attempting to cook 8 briskets for a party. I have 4 on each of my two large Traegers ( a special thank you to Larry who sold these great cookers to me). I forgot to take any pictures before putting them on. but will definitely take a few as the day progresses.

So far the hardest part of the process was putting the rub on them last night. Hopefully we got it just right this time. I finally convinced my wife to let me put some mustard on one of them before the rub, she is still convinced it is going to taste like mustard.

I was surprised as how big of a hit the temps of the smokers took when putting on the briskets. Seemed to take quite a while to get back up to my desired temp.

Well I will keep you posted and post pictures as time permits...

Chad Bryan
KCBS CBJ
06-10-2009 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tuff Offline

How long are you going to cook them? At what temp?
06-10-2009 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wallywombat Offline

on my smaller brisket cooks I have found 200 to 225 has worked well and as for time I have found no brisket is the same I gave myself a window of around 12 hours, which has worked well before.

I plan to wrap them in foil probably mid afternoon and then wait for them to hit the 190 mark...

We shall see how it goes....
06-10-2009 09:52 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: A Big Cook
I have never tasted mustard on the briskets I do. I use a thin slather of the stuff to adhere the seasoning to the meat. Keep us posted. Traegers 8) Big Grin

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-10-2009 10:41 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Mustard is fine to use. You will not be able to taste it at all. I have a traeger and I cook them at 220 for about 10 hours and then wrap them in foil for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. They turn out great.
06-10-2009 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wallywombat Offline

Well my first experience cooking such a large amount of meat has come and gone. Unfortunately the camera thought it had water in it so it wouldn't work so since there are no pictures the cook didn't happen... :lol:

Actually we seemed to do ok.... I did have some trouble with my two Traegers in that the smoke setting on the digital controlers didn't seem to hold a good temp.... At one point we found it them down around 150.... so we bumped them up to the 225 setting. I am hoping it was the weather that gave me the trouble... Over all though we turned out a fairly good brisket. We had a couple that were a little blacker (okay burnt) than we would have liked but 6 out of 8 were pretty good. The others at the party seemed to be impressed with our product, although my wife and I both felt we over cooked by a bit. And like everyone said, we couldn't identify the one with mustard by taste...

Going into this party we both were quite nervous as we had never tried anything this big. Fortunately the reactions of everyone put our nerves to rest fairly quickly.

We did have one brisket that was left over that when we started cutting it we were suprised by the size of the smoke ring. All of the other briskets had around a quarter inch for a smoke ring while this one had just over a half inch... and looked just like a corned beef brisket in color.

Over all this was a great experience and may have finally given us the confidence to maybe make the jump to competing, but having just started a new job things may not let that happen quite yet but hey we can always practice....

06-11-2009 09:24 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

See it's no big deal. One needs to get their feet wet sometime. Good job, it sounds like.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-11-2009 10:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First big cook pitbulls 7 691 08-12-2013 08:21 PM
Last Post: pitbulls
  First Big cook pitbulls 3 570 06-21-2010 08:21 PM
Last Post: pitbulls
  Skinny Boys BBQ big cook (pics) Infamous Dave 13 2,589 01-17-2008 05:59 PM