Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Backyard Competition Results
Pegleg Offline

Backyard Competition Results
Listed below are the results of Backyard Division.

I personally want to thank T and Steve Adams for all of their work in pulling off a GREAT and FANTASTIC competition for the Backyard cookers. Also a big thanks to Sams Club for their donation of a gas grill to the Grand Champion and to Bull Frog Spas for their donation of prizes for 2nd and third place. Also, to Brian and Becky Brinkerhoff of BackCountry Radio Network for creating a GREAT venue for this competition.

Sincerely,
Lyle Earl, Chairman
Utah Barbecue Association

OVERALL RANKING

Grand Champion - Roger Livingston

Reserve Grand - Hawg Gone Good

3. BC Q
4. Shupes BBQ
5. R & R BBQ
6. Todd Bass
7. Hintze’s Hog
8. Skinny Pig BBQ
9. Q’d Up
10. Boild Mule BBQ Troupe
11. Big Daddy’s Q

Chicken

1. Shupes BBQ
2. BC Q
3. Hawg Gone Good
4. Roger Livingston
5. R & R BBQ
6. Hintze’s Hog
7. Q’d Up
8. Skinny Pig BBQ
9. Todd Bass
10. Boiled Mule BBQ Troupe
11. Big Daddy’s Q

RIBS

1. Roger Livingston
2. Hawg Gone Good
3. BC Q
4. Todd Bass
5. R & R BBQ
6. Shupes BBQ
7. Hintze’s Hog
8. Boiled Mule BBQ Troupe
9. Skinny Pig BBQ
10. Q’d Up
11. Big Daddy’s Q
06-06-2009 10:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Backyard Competition Results
Way to go, Roger, Hawg and the rest of you that stuck your big toe in the competition waters. Did any of you catch the dreaded competition bug? Big Grin

Congratulations!

John
06-06-2009 11:30 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I'll be at the Grill on the Hill.I now have an idea of how hard it will be, can't wait for all 4 entries!

It was a lot of fun. I was really surprised to win. Alot of other great food from the other teams I tasted.

Thanks for giving me the opertuniuty to get my feet wet!

Thanks again to T for the pratice a few weeks ago.

Roger Livingston
"If your lookin it ain't cookin"
06-07-2009 08:21 AM
mjerdmann Offline

Dear Lyle:

This was a great event and I cant thank you enough for giving us a chance to play with the big boys. I met some really nice people in the Backyard Division and hope to see them again. Also, a real big shout out to my mentor and friend, Dan Kerby. Without him, I would not have had the chance to meet so many of you.

Hey T, if you get to read this, please know I appreciate how kind and generous your are. It was just awesome to see how excited you were for everyone that got a call. Hope to see you again man.

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
06-07-2009 09:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Way to go guys! It was also nice to get to meet so many of you. Now that you've been infected with the bug, we'll see you all again soon I hope...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-07-2009 12:18 PM
Unregistered

5TH IN EVERYTHING SUCKS! I got away from how I usually do it and it reflected in the scores. Lesson learned, keeping my cooking the same and don't freak out because your in a comp.

I'll be back! Congrates to all that beat me! It was still fun.

Stoneman
06-07-2009 03:20 PM
Three4Que Offline

Congrats to those that not only got the call but to those who competed as well. You guys did great. Good meeting and talking to several of you, Hawg Gone good congrats again Bro; Shupe's keep up the good work, that was awesome chicken, I want that sauce recipe; Hintzes, good meeting you and your boys.

Keep it up guys, it's a sport of love!!!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
06-07-2009 03:27 PM
Hintzes Hog Offline

Hey Guys, It was really good to put some faces with the names. Congrats to all the pros. Hoochie you must have had some killer turn ins good job.

Congratulations Roger, and Hawg... You guys are awesome. It was good to taste the ribs yall made and I can see why you won. My boys had a blast. Great meeting all of you and look forward to next time.

P.S. Rodger and Hawg I hope you know that now instead of a "kick me" sign on your backs you now have a bullseye...

P.P.S Lyle it was great meeting you as well. Thanks for all you do.

I will keep my money, my guns and my freedom... You can keep "The Change"...
06-07-2009 05:51 PM
Cool Lo Offline

Wow. What a blast. I was blown away at all the food I was able to taste. You guys all know what you're doing!
BCQ is pleased and surprised to slide in at number three!
It was mainly just a great time and a pleasure to meet all of you.

You did an awesome job Lyle! Thanks for the time and effort.

Kevin
BCQ
06-07-2009 09:26 PM
Unregistered

Congratulations to each of you who participated in the Backyard Division!!! Each of you was a "winner" - simply by stepping out there and taking part in things!!!.. And now that you see you CAN indeed do it, I hope all of you will come cook in the "full" comps soon... It really is a lot of fun, and all of you have taken a big step now towards doing the "full banana"... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Thanks, Hintzes... I was very fortunate at this comp... I guess I've done a little cooking and practicing over the last 3 years... I have been very blessed to have developed friendships and to have had some great help from folks around here, such as Patio Daddio & T & Brian (Dragon Smoke) & Jonathan and Richard (2 Pigs ) & Gene and Dave (Skinny Boys) & Vic (Hi-I-Que) & PackerBacker (Dave) & Z/April & even the ol' Crazy Cajun (Kevin) among others... Some of the "old guys" (and I missed not seeing a lot of them there this weekend, too!)... They have all taught and/or have helped me along the way... I have also developed some "cyber-friendships" with some other great cooks at some other forums... And I have been fortunate to have taken a great class or two as well... And last but not least, my wife is really great when it comes to helping me with my trays...

So, any "success" I had yesterday is truly a reflection of these folks... And the "honors" really belong to them... All of them were rushing through my thoughts yesterday during the awards ceremonies, and I guess that is why my eyes were just a little watery towards the end... I really am grateful/thankful to all of them... I only hope all of you "newbs" will be as fortunate as I have been to eventually develop as great a "network" of friends/support... And the great news is that you can find it right here in this Association!

Again - congratulations to ALL of you!! I look forward to seeing and meeting more of you soon...

Hoochie
06-07-2009 10:23 PM
Flexo Offline

It was really cool to see all those that came out and competed in the backyard. It was fun to meet a lot of you and see what you were turning out. I hope some of you have been bitten by the competition bug and will want to look forward to moving up. I hope the Utah BBQ Association can put on more backyard competitions. I hope all of you keep supporting BBQ in Utah!!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
06-08-2009 08:19 AM
TBASS Offline

Hey, what good experience this last competition was. Steve Adams was friendly and it was nice to have him coming over and checking up on us backyard people. T was as friendly as always and helped to sharpen some of my knives. Thanks, also always goes to my mentor Brian Baity for helping with the ribs, turn in boxes and inviting me to come and cook. I have a long way to go on the cooking equipment. The variety was amazing.
On another note the bird nest got the most protection from someones son, (I do not know his Name) but it was fun to watch him tend the eggs. He did a good job until another person attending the event; Not a competitor, stepped on the eggs saturday afternoon. I really do not know who was more upset the bird or the boy?
06-08-2009 08:43 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That was a tragedy. Momma Killdeer had her clutch stepped on. They are such funny birds to watch while nesting. Hopefully next year she'll find a less traveled spot to nest, or folks will pay attention better.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
06-08-2009 10:43 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, first of all I would like to say that I have finally recovered from the comps. A very special thanks to the Brinkerhoffs for letting me add the back yard cook off to the event. It was a lot of work, but along with the likes of
Steve Adams my Sysco food rep, and long time personal friend who is also a CBJ, Tarra of HQO BBQ team who did a outstanding job making the badges and signs for all of the teams, Clay and Dan at Bullfrog Spas and BBQ in Orem, They stepped in and provided second and third place prizes. They are a Traeger and Big Green Egg dealer. A very special thanks to Sams Club for providing the great grill for the winner. We must support those who support us. Thanks to all of you cooks you guys were great and it made me proud to be associated with you. Congrats to all of of the winners as far as I'm concerned you are all winners . Thanks to Lyle and family as well. Well it's on the to the Bird and hopefully I won't be as tired? Utah BBQ smoke on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-09-2009 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LH1440 Offline

Well It was a blast meeting everyone at the comp. I had so much problems with my smoker saturday. I had to leave early just after turn in time due to a family emergency. I cant wait for the next comp. Let me know if anybody wants to get together to practice...Smile.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
06-12-2009 01:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2013 Red, White & BBQ Competition Results stewartr002 3 493 05-29-2013 10:17 AM
Last Post: PackerBacker
  Backyard Competition May 11th Riverton./ South Jordan SoEzzy 14 1,124 05-05-2013 06:25 PM
Last Post: Phelps41
  1st Annual Coalville Pig-Out BBQ Competition Results SoEzzy 23 3,705 07-10-2012 07:02 PM
Last Post: Rod Livingston