Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm having trouble getting enough heat
Tuff Offline

I'm having trouble getting enough heat
Hi all

I've been using the same old Great outdoors upright oven style smoker for about 12 years now and have noticed the last few times that it just isn't what it use to be.
Today about 1am I put in about 60lbs of Boston butts in and a bowl of water put the gas on high and it is now 12 hours later and I can't get above 180*. My plan was to be about 225-240* for around 20 hours. Now I don't know what to do.

I'm thinking of putting in some charcoal in my smoke box and trying to raise the temp that way.

I'm also thinking I need a new burner or regulator.

Any tips? Sad
06-03-2009 01:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Re: I'm having trouble getting enough heat
Hi, What color is your flame from your burner?
If it is yellow or very weak, you are probably plugged up (the burner, not yourself).
Spiders like to crawl up into propane burners and lay egg sacks which will plug up the burner and cause it to only work half as good.
I would suggest running a wire up into the burner and see if you can unplug it.
Also there is a small hole (called an orfice) that propane shoots out of into the burner. That sometimes can become plugged.
Try that and see what happens.
Good Luck,
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
06-03-2009 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tuff Offline

I'll go try that.

I was just headed out the door to go buy a new burner and regulator.

Thank you!
06-03-2009 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I've had both on that very unit. For the spider, I use a match and light the gas right where it comes out of the orifice. Takes only a second to cremate those little nests. On the regulator, I had to use one off my Campchef stove in a pinch.
06-03-2009 02:41 PM
Tuff Offline

Well I'm embarrassed to admit this but all it needed was a good cleaning. :oops:
I located the air intake on the burner injection tube and it was gummed up with grease. So I got out my power drill and tor the whole smoker down and put what I could in the dishwasher and took the cabinet down to the car wash and gave it all a good cleaning.
I put it back together tonight instead of going to the big BBQ Contest at the fair park Sad
I fired it up and it climbed right up to 300* within 5 minutes of being lit.

Moral of the story, keep your smoker clean and maintained or it can really screw up an otherwise good week.
06-05-2009 06:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cookshack Trouble Larry Jacobs 0 159 03-06-2014 11:37 AM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs