Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meat safety question
Phred Offline

Meat safety question
On Saturday I picked up a chunk of pork butt for $1.69 (just under 4 lbs.) to make some sausage for pot stickers, etc. When I opened the package it smelled a little bit but I just washed it off and ground it up. I know sometimes with some cuts of meat they will have a bit of an odor to them. This morning I got the rest of it out to season it for breakfast sausage and whew, it was strong. Sent it down the disposal!

OK, if you purchase meat and it has a bit of an unpleasant order to it when you open the package what do you do? Return it? Wash it & cook it?

Phred
04-28-2009 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Meat safety question
Last year I picked up 4 packs of baby backs at Costco. They were bad from the first whiff. (sorry slow Joes). I took them back and they said others had complained but I was the first to bring them back. They thanked me and refunded my money. Apparently several cases had sat around a loading dock for a while. Maybe we are just spoiled by good meat. I've been in two Mexican markets, both had a meat department that smelled real bad.
04-28-2009 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

I had the same problem with some baby backs I bought from Sam's a while back. All it took was one wiff of them and they went back to Sam's. They gave a refund with no questions.

Doug
04-28-2009 11:19 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Had it a time or two from Albertsons, Smiths, WalMart, but only once from Sam's at Jordan Landing with pork butts, summer of 07, refunded immediately without argument.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-28-2009 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Larry Jacobs;p="15857 Wrote:Last year I picked up 4 packs of baby backs at Costco. They were bad from the first whiff. (sorry slow Joes). I took them back and they said others had complained but I was the first to bring them back. They thanked me and refunded my money. Apparently several cases had sat around a loading dock for a while. Maybe we are just spoiled by good meat. I've been in two Mexican markets, both had a meat department that smelled real bad.

That's all right. Costco's return policy is just one of the many reasons it's a great company. Sorry to hear there was a problem in the 1st place. I know you'll keep spending your $ there and thank you.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
04-28-2009 02:23 PM