Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Baby Back... or Spare...?
Hintzes Hog Offline

Baby Back... or Spare...?
Hello all, I have been Q-ing a lot of baby backs recently, and decided to try a few spare ribs. They turned out great, I liked the amount of meat on the spares but they were harder for me to trim up for presentation. It got me wondering what yalls preferences are.
04-25-2009 09:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Baby Back... or Spare...?
When I started competing I was a baby back (or loin back, if you prefer) guy, but I have switched to St. Louis spares.

This should help.

John

P.S. One thing I do differently than the video is that I use the longest bone to gauge my cut, and I cut completely straight with no regard for the shorter ribs. The rationale is that I want my spare rack to be nice and rectangular, almost like a larger rack of baby backs.
04-25-2009 09:33 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Spares or St louis cut spares, I'm not one for buying expensive meat at the best of times, and given the facts that spares have more meat, are cheaper, and have a better flavor (IMO) puts them ahead of baby backs (or loin backs) most of the time.

I've had some loin backs that were nearly as good as the average spares can be, but they were at $4.50 + /lb.

Spares all the way.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-26-2009 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

I am with John on the cutting and SoEzzy on why spend more. Tried BB's on practice comps and still go with spares. They have more meat, most folks couldn't tell the diff for all intent and purpose and the spares are more forgiving.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
04-27-2009 12:10 PM
BBQMama Offline

I mostly cook with spares/St Louis style for all the reasons mentioned above. I did cook baby backs for a couple of competitions and the primary advantage I saw was that it was easier to fit 6 ribs in the turn-in box because of the curve of the rib.

And to top it all off ... you end up with lots of "goodies" to snack on when you trim up a slab of spares.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
04-27-2009 12:32 PM
Hintzes Hog Offline

Thanks for all the responses, I am amazed at how much you guys know and are willing to share. You guys are great.

I will keep my money, my guns and my freedom... You can keep "The Change"...
04-28-2009 06:32 AM
Brian Offline

As for me, if you want to cook baby backs, I will happily eat them. If I am cooking for others, especially folks who don't have to help pay the tab. My budget cant afford to give away baby backs all the time and to practice wit htem as well. I cook well trimmed spares as well. I believe they have a better taste and there is actual meat on the bones.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
04-28-2009 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply