Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoked Tamales
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Smoked Tamales
Heres a great reciepe for Tamales. You can smoke up a new batch of Que or you can use the left overs from a previous cook.
Meat
1 Pork Roast
1 large Chicken
3 T garlic powder
6 T chili powder
3 T cumino
1/2 c Veg Oil
1 T pepper
2 T salt
[Image: Tamales005-1.jpg]
Smoke the pork/Chicken I like to use both and mix it but you can use one or the other. In large bowl Mix oil, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and cumino. Shread the meat and add to spice mixture.
[Image: Tamales006-1.jpg]
Masa
2 lbs Masa Four
3 T paprika
3 T salt
1 T cumino
3 T chili powder
3 T garlic powder
2 c Veg oil
2 quarts Chicken/pork broth
Mix the spices into the Masa flour. Now slowly add to 2 cups of Oil and then work in 2 Quarts of warm chicken/pork broth. (you can save the drippings from the cook or you can use bouillon. I prefer drippings.) Mix Masa with hands until it is the consistency of thick peanut butter. If you need you can add warm water or more Masa flour to achive the right consistency.

Corn Shuck
1 package corn shuck
Soak corn shuck in cold water for 1 to 2 hours. Remove from water and shake dry. seperate shucks and place on towel.
Build the Tamales
Spread Masa onto corn shuck. Start at wide end and spread to cover 2/3 of shuck. Leave 1 to 2 inches from narrow end and 1 inch from one side (see Picture).
[Image: Tamales012-1.jpg]
Add meat and then roll from side with masa and then fold end over leaving end with masa and meat open. Place in steamer basket. (I use a Pasta pot and strainer)
[Image: Tamales014-1.jpg]
[Image: Tamales018-1.jpg]
Place strainer in pan with small amount of water. Tamales should not touch water. You want to steam them not boil. Cover tamales and bring water to boil. Reduce heat and steam tamales for 2 hours. Add water as needed. You don't want to boil the pan dry. After 2 hours remove tamales from pan and cool.
[Image: Tamales020-1.jpg]
Enjoy
[Image: Tamales.jpg]
04-20-2009 08:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Re: Smoked Tamales
How did you know I was in the mood to make tamales. Thanks.
04-20-2009 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Thanks for the tutorial, Vic! This has been on my "I want to do this one of these days" list for a while... They are indeed a labor of love... But oh so good... I have heard that the use of lard is most helpful versus using a "regular" oil (vegetable, etc)... Have you ever used lard in yours?

Hoochie
04-20-2009 12:31 PM
Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Get one of these and you can change your name to no.1tamalemaker Smile

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
04-20-2009 12:57 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I watched the video and I gotta say, I'll stick with Vic on this one... Quality vs quantity issue

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-20-2009 01:13 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Good job on those, Before the association was formed I purchased this machine <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaB4YgHzZI0&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaB4YgHz ... re=related</a><!-- m -->
I used the pork and beef shoulder clod and couldn't keep up with the supply in demand. I was thinking about getting back on it. Interesting that this came about because Arlie and I have been talking back in forth about this very thing. There was a local place where you could by large quantities of pre made masa which made the prep easy. With a little TLC those bad boys were a hit all day.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-20-2009 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tex-mex / Idaho Offline

This Mexican boy agrees with T, find your local tortilla factory and buy you ready made Masa from them. It sure beats using the Masa Harina.

I try to make Tamales twice a year and when I do I usually make about 20-40 dozen, and freeze them ,that way I have some all year long.

A lot of work .but the end result just cannot be beat, also you guys with Venison, Elk, or other game , mix some of that meat with the Pork , and you really have some Texas Tamales............... Tongue

tex-mex / omar
04-20-2009 03:26 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'm on Sampson's band wagon with this also. Great looking tamales Vic.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-20-2009 06:07 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Thanks for the comments. As for making the masa its realy not that hard when you use oil. It dosn't take that long. We have tried lard before and it was harder. This reciepe is just as good if not better and its easier what could be better than that. Ogden has a couple companies that make tamales and tortillas. They are realy good but I like to make my own some times. There is also taco carts on evey corner in down town ogden selling them. You can also find someone in grocery store parking lots selling them from the back of their car. I've purchased some before and they are pretty good. But being a repair plumber and going into people homes and seeing how a lot of people live it makes it kind of scary trusting them. :shock:
This reciepe makes about 60 to 70 tamales and they freeze well.
04-20-2009 06:25 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, not to argue but owning a restaurant I had to make the purchase from a government inspected facility, having looked at the spot myself I then made the choice to use them. The place is well known and has units on shelves everywhere. We as well had our own recipe, but after 8 months of making these bad boys day to day especially trying to run a full fledged BBQ operation and selling dozens to our customers a day you look for a less time consuming situation not sacrificing the quality. Sampson and Gene I couldn't have had 8 months of quantity with out good quality. Thanks for sharing Vic.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-20-2009 06:44 PM
tex-mex / Idaho Offline

Vic,
I do not suppose you take short cuts on your famous Apple Pies.............

Like wise I do not, when making Tamales ! I use real Masa from a professional factory, altho not being a plummer I do not know what their kitchen looks like !

Is there a Tamale throwdown in the future??? Big Grin

BTW I prefer Lard as that is how my grandmother and hers before her made them...................

omar / tex-mex
04-20-2009 08:16 PM
rjr23 Offline

Lard should be used in tamales and beans.

8) Richard 8)
04-21-2009 06:10 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Well after googling the subject and talking to a friend of mine that has one, I gotta say if I were even thinking of doing these commercially , the machine is the only way to go. And on the subject of the masa, I for one don't know of a single one of my mexican friends that makes their own. I've used the both premix and made my own, for me premix is the way to go. But then again, I'm pretty freakin' lazy as most of you know. But really, I like the flavor and texture of the premix for some reason... Just my $.02... Now when are we all getting together for some tamales :lol:

KCBS Member and CBJ
04-21-2009 11:43 AM
norm Offline

"Those who respect the law and love sausage should watch neither being made."- Samuel Clemens

KCBS certified judges
04-21-2009 01:36 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Norm, I don't think we should talk about "love sausage" on this forum, thank you!!!

KCBS Member and CBJ
04-21-2009 02:59 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

When I mentioned their kitchens I was talking about the people that sell tamales out of the back of their cars in a store parking lot. But then again I've worked in a lot of commercial kitchens and factories that I would not classify as clean. And there is a difference between work cluter and cleanliness. And I might add that some of those machines are pretty cool to watch and they sure can put out the product. They are realy good tasting to. I buy tamales and tacos from carts all the time and I love them. MMMM good.
As for lard its great to use its just a little more work. And for buying it from a proffesional factories. I've plumbed a couple of them here in town and their masa flour is the same as the masa flour you can buy in the store and I use in this reciepe. It just comes in larger bags. Everyone has their own way of doing things. This wasn't a reciepe for making a commerical mass produced product it was for people who would like to make a batch of tamales at home quickly. Its a very good reciepe and I think that if you try it you will find out that its well worth the effort. I've tried many different reciepes and this one seems to be the best so far.
Since we are talking about Mexican stuff. A Mexican Ice cream store just opened up in one of my dads rentals in Ogden. They have some great Ice cream and popcicle. Has any one ever had a Mango chili pepper popcicle. Its realy interesting. Cold yet spicy. Makes your tounge say ????
04-21-2009 03:47 PM
norm Offline

sampson;p="15771 Wrote:Norm, I don't think we should talk about "love sausage" on this forum, thank you!!!
Too funny, but I'm not the one smoking tamales.
Vic,
I was just telling a co-worker about those mango/chili popsicles(paletas), very good stuff. I first had these as kid when I lived in Guanajuato, Mexico. Real fruit frozen without preservatives.

KCBS certified judges
04-21-2009 05:15 PM
Three4Que Offline

I like the pina colada ones I used to buy in Mesa.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
04-21-2009 10:42 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: One of the "fish camps" I frequent in Baja, has a meal supplied option. We always have them do the cooking. One afternoon I watched his wife and aunt making tamales. The first ingredient was about a 3 pound block of lard. After that, I only eat tamales made with lard. Man! are they good. I am lucky to not have to make them though. One of my daughters work place has this really nice Hispanic gentleman deliver two dozen for me every other week. Made with lots of lard and love! Just got my last shipment yesterday and YUMMY! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
04-24-2009 02:35 PM