Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Techniques for 2009
Swine Steward Offline

New Techniques for 2009
OK, the 2009 competition season seems to be off to a great start with an April contest in both Utah and Idaho. So here's my question to the Qing multitudes out there: What have you learned during your winter cooks that you plan to use in the upcoming BBQ season?

I'll start off with: Its good for competition practice to cook when its cold and rainy, because you can't depend on good sunny weather at competition time.
04-16-2009 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Re: New Techniques for 2009
I learned that i should actually practice during the off season. I found so many other things to do that I ran out of time to practice like I wanted to. Cooking in the inclement weather is certainly a good idea, you are right, a competition is certainly no gaurantee of good weather. I also learned to not wear my brand new weatherproof jacket too close to the fire. It will melt.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
04-16-2009 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

This season we will be using a wood fired crock pot to do our ribs in... Fall off the bone tender. I've also found that by adding three TBS of celery salt to a bottle of Kraft honey mustard Q sauce you can have a winner... Another tip you all should feel free to use is our new method on the brisket, hot and fast. I do the whole thing with my weedburning torch, just tell the KCBS rep that your lighting a fire. I have about a hundred other tips that I will just give away, PM me for more!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-16-2009 11:40 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Swine Steward;p="15628 Wrote:I'll start off with: Its good for competition practice to cook when its cold and rainy, because you can't depend on good sunny weather at competition time.
As most of you know that follow the forum we have been practicing all Winter long, I think that we only missed maybe four weekends? I basically adopted that chain of thought years ago when a friend of mine came out of California and went to the Royal, and was caught off guard with the weather he and his team encountered. He came in near the bottom of the pack due to being miserable, too cold, temperature and high winds and never having cooked in those conditions. I decided then, not me man, and thanks for the insight. My chicken scores were low last year and over the Winter I have worked hard to what I think improve my scores, but who knows? I do know this that I'm chickened out!!!!!!!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-16-2009 11:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I've improved my chicken from barely edible to mostly edible! :wink:

I've a couple of new techniques under my belt that I have some faith in... maybe miss guided faith but we'll see at some point.

My pulled pork is getting better, cook after cook, so that's moving in the right direction too, only done ribs a couple of times, but got good responses to them, and mixed responses to the brisket, mostly good but nothing stunning in brisket yet.

Cooking all winter was pretty good, we didn't get more than a couple of rainy, windy days, and one or two when it was cold, it threatened snow and sleet, but we avoided all but a flurry one day.

But it sure does teach you to keep an eye on the weather, and be aware of what your pit does in the differing conditions.

As to nameable techniques, there have been experiments by me this winter in, brining, marinading, injections, rubs, sauces, mops and spritz's, trimming & shaping, fire control, woods and spice combination's that work, and woods and spice combination's that don't work, :wink: fire starting in different ways to lock in the temperature from the word, "Go"!

Pit building, food handling and safety, common sense, humor and generally looking for the good in the day, even if it's only that a certain wood - spice combination, doesn't work as well as you thought it would, (better to learn that when practicing than when competing, after all)!

So all in all it's been a great winter and I've had the privilege to cook with, feed or just BS with, T, Becci (Sterling, Mark and some of the girls from Q4U), Doug, Brian & Nelly (Dragon Smoke), Brian Winther, (his wife and son), Sheldon, Joe Furgeson, (his Dad and Uncle), Larry Jacobs, Carla, Tony (the welder), Joe (the CBJ), Sampson, Phred (and his wife), all at Q4U, and also at the Vets Cook in Lehi, with Johnathan and Richard, Chuck, Flexo, Chris, Lyle, Delanna, Norm, Linda, Mike, T, Doug, Carla (her husband, daughter, SIL and granddaughter), as well as numerous other new friends and acquaintances, to whome I apologize for not mentioning by name!

Thanks to all who took part in some way in the Frostbite Challenge, Utah's kick off cooking competition of 2009!

It's been a great winter for cooking, and I for one hope for as good a spring, summer and fall of cooking, until I can get back to the weekly practice again! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-16-2009 12:44 PM
Jaybird Offline

You all are doin it right. Practice, practice, practice. That's what it takes. I have not been able to do much of that lately and I'm sure my scores will show that eventually. I'm proud of you guys and your persistence....that IS what it takes....that comes from not just me but from teams alot better than me. Way to go guys!! Big Grin

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
04-16-2009 07:47 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Ok, the principle is simple: A little practice is good, a lot of practice is better.

What do you guys do with all that meat??

The Mrs. likes BBQ every once in a while, my kids are 7 and 5 so they can devour only so much. I can eat BBQ just about every day, but I'm only one person. What do you do with all that meat?
04-16-2009 08:29 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: if your PackerBacker, you feed the Star Fire department 4-5 days a week. They love it but the downside is that 8 out of 10 of them can no longer pass the physical! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
04-16-2009 10:18 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I have 7 in the family, a business partner, and always hungry friends waiting to collect their share, (if there's any leftovers), then there is always some that gets taste tested on the day, just to see where we're at, good or bad.

I plan my menu for the week around what I want to cook on the weekend.

If we are cooking 20 lb of chicken we'll get 20 - 22 thighs and hopefully the same in drumsticks, and it will add up to 16 lbs or so of cooked meat, and by the time taste tests are over, you can be down to 12 or 13 lbs to take home, that's only 3 meals for the family, and a couple of lunches for Ken and myself.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-16-2009 10:27 PM
Three4Que Offline

The guys up on Base really love it when I practice. They get lots of samples and I get some feedback, some positive, some not, but lots of times they say, When are you going to cook for us?

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
04-16-2009 11:00 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

crashpilot;p="15642 Wrote:What do you guys do with all that meat??

When I practice cook I have no problem getting rid of any meats. My outlets are the crew, customers, and don't forget I'm located between a bowling alley, Liquor store and we all share one huge parking lot. I always get the "hey bro what are we cooking" or "can you hook a brotha up"? Most of the time if not all there is nothing left to worry about.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-17-2009 11:54 AM