Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get longer cooks out of my new barrel smoker
Hintzes Hog Offline

How to get longer cooks out of my new barrel smoker
Hello all, We just got done with our first cook on our new home built barrel smoker. It worked well, However I was only able to hold a constant temp of 250 for just short of 2 hours... I used 7 lbs of kingsford charcoals. I have heard tell of some masters who can maintain cooks at 250 - 300 for 8, 9, even 10 hours. any idea what I might need to adjust? I have 4 air ports in the bottom of the barrel and 4 in the lid. I cannot find out how to add images to this post so the pictures have been put on our profile. (I think) Thank You and any help would be much appreciated. Sean Hintze
04-12-2009 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

How did you light your fire?

How much charcoal was lit?

Did you burn out all the fuel or was it just changing the temperature on you?

Yesterdays humidity was higher than last weeks, you need more air intake to maintain the same temperature under those conditions.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-12-2009 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hintzes Hog Offline

I lit the charcoals on my gas bbq and made sure they were mostly all lit (7 lbs worth), then loaded them into a basket and set them in the barrel, the temp stayed at 250 with minimal adjustments. for just under 2 hours then it seamed no matter what combination I tried I couldnt get it back to 250 it hoovered around 180-200 for about 4 more hours. then when I checked it in the morning about 4 hours later it was at 100ish. when you say more air intake do i also need to remove top air ports to help the air flow through? I have four 3/4inch ports in the bottom and four in the top. Thank you for your help. Sean

I will keep my money, my guns and my freedom... You can keep "The Change"...
04-12-2009 10:57 AM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Re: How to get longer cooks out of my new barrel smoker
Sounds like that is why you didn't get a very long burn out of your charcoal. Just place your unlit charcoal into your basket. The add about half of a lit chimney spread out evenly or start just the top layer of charcoal with a weed burner. Then it will slowly burn down through the unlit charcoal and should last a lot longer for you.
04-12-2009 11:16 AM
Hintzes Hog Offline

sounds good I will give that a try tonight. Thank you for your help.

I will keep my money, my guns and my freedom... You can keep "The Change"...
04-12-2009 11:22 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I'd put half a bag of charcoal in the ring, and light 1/2 a chimney starter, spread the lit coals around your ring, and allow it to come up to temperature.

I have 4 x3/4" holes on the bottom, and 4 x 3/4" in the Weber lid I use, and 8 x 1/2" holes in the flat lid on #2 pit under construction.

If your using the fridge magnets your have all the variabilities of temperatures and hot spots covered.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-12-2009 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
drapersmoke Offline

i just always add more charcoal as it goes. just light half and then add the fresh charcoal to the top of the hot pile
04-13-2009 07:58 PM