Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turkey Gravy for about 40 people
mantry Offline

Turkey Gravy for about 40 people
Howdy, looks like Thanksgiving for the masses is going to be at our house this year with about 40 total people. One of things I'm on the hook for besides frying the turkeys(3 of them) will be the Gravy. I'll say that I'm a so so gravy maker.. I've never used anything out of a pouch! Always from scratch.

I'll be frying the turkeys but will have access to the neck, liver, giblets, etc parts and can use them to make some stock.

Any ideas on how to go about making a good turkey gravy for this many people?

Do I try to make it all in one batch in a large pan or should I do smaller batches?

Should I try to roast off the parts in the oven to get some brown bits, etc? I'm starting to sweat this one... Grandma will be there and I'm sure I'll be measured on this... :-)

Mark
Thanks in advance!!
11-10-2010 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Re: Turkey Gravy for about 40 people
Give Grandma a call and tell her that she makes the best gravy ever and ask her how she would do it. Then it will be sure to please her!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
11-13-2010 08:42 PM
mantry Offline

OK, here is how it went down...
They say 1/3rd of a cup per person, I planned on 1/2 Cup. We were down to 29 confirmed people and I planned on 16 Cups of Gravy...

We got a fresh Turkey and injected it with 2 C of Apple Juice and 4 T of Tony Cacherones Creole seasoning and tossed it in the oven on Wed morning on a bed of about 1 onion cut into slices. Once it hit 170 degrees we pulled it out and let it rest. Pulled the meat off and put it in seal a meal bag and it went into the freezer. Anything that wasn't edible went into a big stock pot, skin, bones, other pieces of stuff. We added 5 bayleaves and about 2 t Thyme and 5 carrots chopped into chunks and 5 stalks of celery. Covered it with about 18 Cups of water and let is simmer for about 3 hours. Strained everthing out of the stock and then let it chill for 2 hours.

Skimmed the fat off the stock and then made a reux of 16 T of Flour and 16 T of skimmed off Turkey fat. Then added that to 16 cups of stock and brought it up to a boil. Ended up having to thicken it up some more using some more flour and using turkey stock to incorporate it in. Brought it all up to temp and thickness and then turned it off and chilled it down outside and back in the fridge. Turkey day we warmed it back up on the stove.

The VERDICT...... Best Turkey Gravy anyone ever had. Grandma approved, kids were raving about it. A sucess!!!
11-27-2010 05:33 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Sounds like you did an awesome job and I am glad Grandma approved! :wink:

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
11-27-2010 06:01 PM