Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chicken on a pellet grill
wallywombat Offline

Chicken on a pellet grill
I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on how to do some thighs and drumsticks on my Traeger.? So far my experience has resulted in chicken that is just a tad on the rubbery side.
03-02-2009 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Chicken on a pellet grill
W W,
That is a thing I discovered also. Either cook them at a higher temp or take them off when they are nearly done and turn up the heat setting, let the 'ol Traeger get real hot and then put the chicky back in skin side down for a few minutes. Time is a factor depending on outside temp as you know. I use an old quilt to retain the heat better. A welding blanket would work better due to it's higher temperature rating. In our comps we have started using a S&W .22 Mag :shock: to accomplish the same result. Not a gun, :roll: another grill Traeger made. Hope this helps.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
03-02-2009 01:35 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

The chicken is rubbery or the skin is rubbery? Gene is right about running the temp up. Cold/cool weather doesn't help a Traeger thus a blanket of some sort....Do not use a moving blanket....it will melt....trust me. In cool weather, I pre heat for 30-45 minutes and cook till 175*, pull and let sit for a few minutes. Moist every time.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
03-02-2009 04:44 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'll bet he meant the skin, like you said. Good call.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
03-02-2009 07:45 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

The Best way to get bite through skin is to cook the thighs and legs at 325 degrees.
03-02-2009 08:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Must be a traeger thing to have to cook them that high. Last time I had T's chicken off of the BDS I had to double check to make sure the skin was on it. I think he did it at 250*.

Doug
03-02-2009 09:46 PM
wallywombat Offline

You are indeed right that it is the skin that gives me the most trouble.... I will try the suggestions offered and see what happens... Chicken has been the hardest thing for me to cook on these grills, hopefully this can help give me better results.
03-03-2009 08:50 AM