Re: Dutch Oven Cookoff
RULES FOR THE MESQUITE OPEN
1. This is a three-pot cook off consisting of a main dish, a dessert, and a bread*(See #18).
2. A team may consist of one or two members. An adult must accompany any contestant under the age of 18.
3. All contestants cooking in the Mesquite Open Cook-Off must be members of IDOS, to qualify to move on to the worldâs in March 2012.
4. Entrants may not be professional chefs, employees of contest sponsors, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies.
5. Only team members and cook's aids (no family or friends) are allowed in the cooking area. One team member must remain in the cooking area at all times.
6. Know and practice safe food handling procedures. At least one team member is required to have a current food handler's permit from their local county. A copy of this permit should be readily available during the cook-off.
7. Recipes must be submitted by the designated date and should include a complete list of all ingredients in order of use and complete instructions on how to prepare them, including the final meat temperature. Outside the realm of copyright, recipes become the property of the cook off for subsequent use in cook off cookbooks or publications. All copyright recipes must include the source.
8. All ingredients must be combined, chopped, sliced, diced and cooked on site including garnishes and marinades. For safety reasons, no ingredients prepared or processed at home are allowed. All meat must be USDA inspected.
9. All cooking must be done in an approved (factory made) Dutch Oven or cast iron cookware, everything cooked must be presented to the judges with the exception of excess gravies and sauces. Removing burnt or undercooked sections of food may result in point deductions or disqualification. Side items such as butter, jam or sauces should not be presented to the judges' table unless specifically listed in the recipe and prepared on site.
10. Only competition recipes can be cooked during the cook-off. There should be no eating in the cooking area. Food and beverages will be provided in the hospitality booth.
11. Battery operated or electrical devices, such as mixers or blenders, are not allowed in the preparation of food. Digital thermometers and digital scales are allowed.
12. All dishes must be presented to the Food Judges' table on time. Points will be deducted accordingly for any late presentations by the Field Judges.
13. All foods submitted for judging should be displayed in the pot or on the lid. For sanitation concerns, please do not display foods on fabric.
Note: Dishes presented on a lid usually has a higher presentation appeal, but is not required.
14. Garnishing should be simple, complement the dish being presented, and not distract from it. This is not a garnishing contest. Garnishes should be edible. Any flowers used in garnishing should be pesticide free and edible. Judges may request proof from place of purchase that the flowers comply with this rule.
15. Use good fire safety practices. Keep yourself and the public safe. All cooking must be done at least 18 inches above the ground.
16. Interaction with the public is encouraged. Please be courteous in sharing cooking information. Do not advertise for personal gain.
17. Smoking is allowed in designated areas only.
18. At this competition no âMeat â stuffed breads will be allowed ! Nor any âsweetâ bread that may be considered a dessert !
19. There will be a Blind Judging format used at this event, judges will not be allowed in the cooking area at anytime. Turn-ins will be in pots or lids as usual.
All teams are expected to clean up their area after cooking , and leave the site just as it was before cooking began.
All teams are expected to bring their own equipment,pop-up tents, tables,pots,wash stations,etc.
Sanitation and health rules will be observed.
CasasBlanca is not responsible for accidents or damage that may occur during the cook-off.
Any exceptions or clarifications on the official rules must be submitted in writing to the cook off committee at least two weeks prior to the Mesquite Open Cook-Off.
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 pm
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: email@example.com