Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time for a new smoker
mjerdmann Offline

Time for a new smoker
Hello:

I am an amatuer back yard smoker. My Camp Chef (Smoke Vault) has been nice but I have smoked it out in under a year. Can anyone reccomend another LP/wood type box? I really like the stand up box type and for my needs an LP start, wood burning smoker is ideal.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
02-01-2009 08:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Time for a new smoker
What do you mean, "smoked it out"? I thought that thing would last for years. I have a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain which is very similar that is now about six years old. And it really should go another six or so. But if you gotta replace it and need to do it inexpensively, I say buy or build a drum... And yes a drum is a gas assisted start up, use a weed burner set on high. It's both fun and functional. But whatever you do, don't even listen to these weirdos that burn these mini log things, very, very evil they are :twisted:

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-04-2009 07:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

Yep, I have to agree with Chris. Go with a drum. My UDS is my favorite smoker. Very easy to use, store, clean, use, work with, use, cook on, use, que on, control temperatures, use, etc... :wink: Did I mention it is easy to use? :lol:

NO mini-stick burners.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
02-05-2009 07:34 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

No input from Gene or Vic on this matter? What's up with that? Have you guys finally realized the error in your ways?

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-05-2009 10:12 AM
hossrocks Offline

sampson;p="13782 Wrote:What do you mean, "smoked it out"? I thought that thing would last for years. I have a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain which is very similar that is now about six years old. And it really should go another six or so. But if you gotta replace it and need to do it inexpensively, I say buy or build a drum... And yes a drum is a gas assisted start up, use a weed burner set on high. It's both fun and functional. But whatever you do, don't even listen to these weirdos that burn these mini log things, very, very evil they are :twisted:

Well I have to say I too love my UDS. They are very simple to use, very simple to build and you will be able to cook on them for years to come. Now with that said, if you want to drop a little cash then a pellet pooper is a great investment!!! Big Grin I LOVE MINE!!! :evil: I'm actually gonna buy another one soon! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.traegergrills.com/">http://www.traegergrills.com/</a><!-- m --> or <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.countrysmokers.com/barbecues.htm">http://www.countrysmokers.com/barbecues.htm</a><!-- m --> are a couple of the best out there.

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
02-05-2009 10:13 AM
Three4Que Offline

sampson;p="13809 Wrote:No input from Gene or Vic on this matter? What's up with that? Have you guys finally realized the error in your ways?

Naw, they're still sleeping! Smile

02-05-2009 10:53 AM
mjerdmann Offline

OKay, this is why I love the Utah BBQ Association. You guys have helped me more in the past six months than a $100 is silly books. So, the question I have to ask is... aint a pellet (Treager) too easy? Is there such a thing as too easy.

And while i am on the subject, here is the love of my life, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pigroast.com/60pages/model60m.htm">http://www.pigroast.com/60pages/model60m.htm</a><!-- m -->

titled: Someday

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
02-05-2009 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: It is simply a question of science my friends. those "itty bitty" logs provide more "surface area" for the necessary impartation of sweet smoke to your efforts. In addition, the amount of flexibility in smoke offerings (Hickory-Pecan-Mesquite-Oak-Maple etc. etc.) is virtually endless! But let's toss all of those advantages out the window. At 2:00 AM in the rain, wind. and cold, You are snuggled in with your favorite "blankie" sleeping like a baby! :twisted: That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Life Is A Team Sport
02-05-2009 07:10 PM
IQ Offline

Where's the love? A man asks a simple question and the response is to beat up the brothers with the greatest technology to ever bless the BBQ world. Bake, grill and SMOKE with one convenient unit. Have no fear beginning BBQ enthusiasts, truth and right will prevail and BBQ will be had by the masses. Best of all you won't just be another "Bum with a Drum".
02-05-2009 10:18 PM
hossrocks Offline

IQ;p="13820 Wrote:Where's the love? A man asks a simple question and the response is to beat up the brothers with the greatest technology to ever bless the BBQ world. Bake, grill and SMOKE with one convenient unit. Have no fear beginning BBQ enthusiasts, truth and right will prevail and BBQ will be had by the masses. Best of all you won't just be another "Bum with a Drum".

YEA! Well said! Pelletheads unite! :evil:

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
02-05-2009 11:32 PM
BBdoesQ Offline

Well I will give my 2 cents. If you ask Chris how his Lang works I am sure he loves it. I have a model 80 and cooked over 240 peices of chicken for my son's Jrotc change of command. If you can get a Lang, Get one. But get as big as you can afford. Bigger is better. :lol:

BBdoesQ

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
02-06-2009 02:15 AM
waynes world BBQ Offline

It must be nice to have all the bangs of a smoker like that but as for us poor people my smoker is 2 propane tanks being built by 4 high school girls for a school project and it is only $20 plus the paint to have my waynes world smoker and it will be just fine and I like to be out in the fresh air. :oops: :lol: :oops:
wayne
02-06-2009 11:16 AM
Three4Que Offline

IQ;p="13820 Wrote:Where's the love? A man asks a simple question and the response is to beat up the brothers with the greatest technology to ever bless the BBQ world. Bake, grill and SMOKE with one convenient unit. Have no fear beginning BBQ enthusiasts, truth and right will prevail and BBQ will be had by the masses. Best of all you won't just be another "Bum with a Drum".

Hey now, that's not nice to say. Smile Even if I am a "Bum with a Drum" 8) There are many great cooks using Drums. Several have even taken a walk at competitions. But to answer mjerdman a little better. There are several cookers available. You could go with a WSM, a UDS/BDS, Lang (too pricy for me right now Sad ), or some others that Dave, T, Joe, Larry, Chris or the others could suggest.

02-06-2009 11:29 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I did send him a note about Traegers, p.m. style. BTW
In any case, one doesn't usually just walk up to a car dealer and say I'll buy that one without taking a test drive, dealer shopping, etc. or buy a sofa without setting on it, do we?
Look at them all, check out the features, ease of cleaning, ah yes, smokers need cleaning, etc. How does the food look and taste. You owe it to yourself to make an informed, well thought out decision, not just going by what some "bum with a drum" :wink: or "pellet smoker" owner says.
Then when it's all said and done and you end up with a mini stick burner Big Grin you'll be convinced that you have made the right decision. Big Grin
Have a great day ya'll.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
02-07-2009 02:31 PM