Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recipes
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Recipes
Was just searching the site for some ideas on what to cook for dinner. I was wondering if we could put a recipe page on the site. I know it would be more work for someone but it would be nice not only for the everyday users but for people who are coming here to see what we are all about to be able to get some recipes for some of the great photos that pop up in our post. I can find (with a little searching) some great looking food. But not very many how to's on how to make them. The KCBS site has a recipe page that you can get some great recipes from the members on. You can also share some of your own.
What do you Think?
01-25-2009 09:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Recipes
Maybe its just me, but there is one, the one you just posted on Vic " Recipes, Formulas & Techniques" Or am I missing somthing here :roll:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-25-2009 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Have you ever tried to get a recipe from the forum? After wading through all the talk you might come out with something close to a recipe that you still have to guess on to get it right. I have been working over the last year on getting people to join our association and I've given out the address for this site hundreds of times. I ask people what they think about it. I have heard a lot of different things some good some bad. One of the biggest things I've heard is that we need to make it easier to get info on something. Alot of people do not like to talk on forums and they just want to come and get some ideas on what to make for dinner or how to do something. I know that you can go to the BBq Resources page which Lyle put together but it just takes you some where else. I beleive that their is pleanty of people right here that can give us some great info and ideas not just on recipes but on everything bbq. I think that we could make it easier to get that info and maybe then they would feel better about joining in on some of the forum talk. I know that this is not my association or site but as the membership person I beleive that I have some insite on what some people would like to see. I would rather come here and get a recipe from some people I know than go somewhere else. I was just throwing out the idea.
01-25-2009 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tex-mex / Idaho Offline

Vic ,
check out the IDOS.org site I think this might be what you are looking for, as far as the recepie section .

omar
01-25-2009 05:14 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Hmmm, gotta go with Dave on this one Vic. I just got done seeing how hard it was to find our recipe section and let's get real here, I'm not all that bright and found it fairly quickly. I hadn't poked through there in a while but there's some good stuff in there. I do agree with Vic though in that there's sure not much recent stuff on there, I'll work on getting some of the things that I've been doing posted. Most of them though are not my recipes but they're all readily available on the web though so there should be no problem... Let's see now, armadillo eggs, fatties, ABT's, porksicles, chicken pops, smoked meat loaf... crap, now I'm hungry! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin So fellow members, give up on some of those recipes that you've been trying all winter long. There's 481 people registered on this forum, between all of us there is surely something new to be trying!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
01-25-2009 05:36 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Vic, I don't know, nor care where you are trying to take this, but you asked a question about someone creating a page for recipes. All I said is that there is a page for recipes. How do we make it easier for people to get that info. when its posted on that page that I don't know. If they need to ask more questions, there are plenty of fine folks on this site to answer any and all questions that anyone has.

Now if you have received some feedback from some folks on so called improvements to the site , then bring it up to the BOD but not on an open forum.

JMHO
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
01-25-2009 07:39 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I thought an open forum was for questions like this. This is why we have a forum to talk about things. I'm glad we can have discussions and try to improve things. And a forum isn't a page for recipes. Its a place to talk about them. Theres more talking going on then recipes. I was just making a suggestion if you don't agree thats fine. We all have different ideas. I was just passing on ideas that people have been giving to me while I've been doing my job getting people to sign up for paid memberships. I guess you would rather we not have anyone suggest anything.
As for finding things easly I don't have problems finding the forum post either but some people do. I've had a lot of people say that they don't like talking on forums so they don't even try to look there. It was just a thought I thought I would put out there for discussion. It wasn't meant to cause trouble.
01-25-2009 09:15 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

no1plumber;p="13558 Wrote:I thought an open forum was for questions like this. This is why we have a forum to talk about things. I'm glad we can have discussions and try to improve things. And a forum isn't a page for recipes. Its a place to talk about them. Theres more talking going on then recipes. I was just making a suggestion if you don't agree thats fine. We all have different ideas. I was just passing on ideas that people have been giving to me while I've been doing my job getting people to sign up for paid memberships. I guess you would rather we not have anyone suggest anything.
As for finding things easly I don't have problems finding the forum post either but some people do. I've had a lot of people say that they don't like talking on forums so they don't even try to look there. It was just a thought I thought I would put out there for discussion. It wasn't meant to cause trouble.

Wait a minute, this is to fricken funny, Now you say, " A forum isn't a page for recipes, but a place to talk about them?" And there is to much talking going on rather recipes? And what was the suggestion you were making? To create a recipe page?( the recipe page that has been there for three years)
And as far as the "Job" your doing . Every member of the UTBBQA that I know promotes, supports and speaks of the Assoc. for the Assoc. and not for self promotion

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
01-25-2009 10:29 PM
Three4Que Offline

I like the idea that if I need a recipe or help with something I can just ask anyone in general or a specific person. I've gotten lots of help that way and even some PM's. This site is great!!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-25-2009 11:14 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

If you go to other sites like KCBS or the BBQ Brotheran you will see what I was talking about. Some where where you can just get a recipe. It's not that big of deal. As for my Job I was Asked by the BOD to collect Memberships. Thats my job for the Association. If you fill out a Utah BBQ application and send it in it comes to my address. Thats why its my job to talk to these people and I was just passing on info. I have been the membership person for over a year. There is a difference in a forum on recipes and a page that just has a list of recipes on it. If you would look you would understand what I was Suggesting. I'm sorry if you took my post the wrong way I'm not trying to upset anyone. I appriciate and the association appriciates everyones willingness to bring people here.
01-26-2009 09:05 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

no1plumber;p="13558 Wrote:I thought an open forum was for questions like this. This is why we have a forum to talk about things. I'm glad we can have discussions and try to improve things. And a forum isn't a page for recipes. Its a place to talk about them. Theres more talking going on then recipes. I was just making a suggestion if you don't agree thats fine. We all have different ideas. I was just passing on ideas that people have been giving to me while I've been doing my job getting people to sign up for paid memberships. I guess you would rather we not have anyone suggest anything.

Vic, your post was confusing,mainly the part " a forum isn't a page for recipes" having them categorized and not being able to reply to them or the person that posted it is what i now know you meant.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
01-26-2009 09:55 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I want to be on record as saying I like the idea of a recipe page. One that is not a discussion but just a list of recipes. I would be willing to do anything I could to help make that happen. Does anyone know what it would take? How about we start with everyone PM'ing me with their rub and sauce recipes Smile Smile Smile Seriously, we wouldn't have to give up comp secret recipes but I'd like to have your favorite corn bread recipe for instance. Or maybe your best mac n cheese... so on and so on.

KCBS Member and CBJ
01-26-2009 11:19 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

sampson;p="13580 Wrote:I want to be on record as saying I like the idea of a recipe page. One that is not a discussion but just a list of recipes. I would be willing to do anything I could to help make that happen. Does anyone know what it would take?

I like the idea enough to make it happen!

For those that missed it there are now 5 additional recipe sections at the top of the Recipe, Formula's and Techniques forum.

They are:

Beef and Burger
Chicken and Poultry
Pork
Other Meat
Sides, Desserts, Rubs and Sauces

If those that want to post a recipe, but can't find a forum they feel covers the recipe they want to post, PM or email me and I'll tell you where to put it! :oops:

If you want to put something in about turkey burger please choose one of the two obvious choices, Beef and Burger because it's burger, or Chicken and Poultry because it's Turkey, but pick one, don't re-post it in both sections.

Once a recipe is in the database as a thread, you will be able to search to it using standard search techniques.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-26-2009 12:28 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Chris, you rock man!!! Thanks so much for all the work that you have been putting into this site. If I can ever help let me know.

KCBS Member and CBJ
01-26-2009 12:44 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Pheeew........ Thanks Chris I'm glad thats over.
01-26-2009 02:29 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Me too, what are you talking about? :wink:

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-26-2009 07:20 PM
IQ Offline

I'm a newbie and computer illiterate. Could you put a link to recipes in left column with other links. I had to work hard to find this area and any recipes. I sell mini stick burners and would love to send new potential members to the site. An easy to reach recipe page would get more looks and interest from potential new members. Thanks for a great site and opportunity to share BBQ love.
01-26-2009 10:27 PM
Three4Que Offline

IQ, what kind of mini-stick burners do you sell?

01-27-2009 07:31 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Three4Que;p="13606 Wrote:IQ, what kind of mini-stick burners do you sell?

Oh, Doug... don't tell me your thinking of going to the dark side :cry:

KCBS Member and CBJ
01-27-2009 11:31 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Ok I'm going to feel dumb now, but I can't find the recipe page, I didn't know we had one. I would love to check it out. Can someone tell me how to find it?

Chris would it be possible to put a recipe "button" or link on the home page? Maybe something that stands out? Just asking. Either way someone tell me how to find it please.
Thanks

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
01-27-2009 04:44 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Go to the upper left hand corner and find the UTAHBBQ Navigation box. Go down to the button that says Forum (second one down) and click it.
Scroll about half way down the page to the Recipes, Formulas & Techniques
section and click it or any of the recipe categories.
or just click his link.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.utahbbq.org/viewforum.php?f=10">http://www.utahbbq.org/viewforum.php?f=10</a><!-- m -->

Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-27-2009 05:39 PM
Three4Que Offline

sampson;p="13610 Wrote:
Three4Que;p="13606 Wrote:IQ, what kind of mini-stick burners do you sell?

Oh, Doug... don't tell me your thinking of going to the dark side :cry:

Naw Chris, just curious. :oops: I will stay on the light side Master. By the way, this "young?" padawon is actually thinking about a 2nd BDS!! 8) Go figure, I'm loving the one I have and looking forward to the first attempt at thighs. 8)

01-27-2009 10:51 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Found it - Thanks Dutchovendude.

I think this will be much more user friendly with time now that Chris put in some categories. The older stuff there is probably good, but very time consuming to sift through.

I was expecting to find a recipe page, we don't have one of those right? All we have is a recipe forum - is that correct? I will have to spend some time in there, I bet there are some great recipes. Thanks for the help!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
01-28-2009 03:57 PM