Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vending
Baby Roo Offline

vending
I have an opportunity to vend at an upcoming running (10K) event in So. Calif. I would be the only food vendor other than kettle corn and protien bars that will also be available for runners.

This is a two day event. Sat. will be race registration and a health fair. Sunday will be the race. There will be a beer garden and all runners will be given two tickets for two free beers. We will be serving there.

I am thinking of adding a BBQ Chicken salad and maybe a chicken breast sandwich along with a little 'real' barbecue for those who want it. What are your menu thoughts or suggestions?

I have served our barbecue at a few walk a thons and it went over real well but, I think this might be a little different.

This event, in past years, has pulled in about 10,000 people (9,000) runners plus family etc...
How many would you prep to serve?

Thanks for your input - I'll be back.

Phil

Baby Roos BBQ
01-15-2009 04:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: vending
Welcome Phil!

First, check with your local Health Dept. on there req. You may not be able to cook off site and re-heat on site, not sure though.

The amount of servings depends on size of cookers/ equipment and the amount of hands on (experienced) help you have.
Give us some more info/details and we'll try to help ya out.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-15-2009 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaybird Offline

Hey Phil, How ya been? Still got the Bates?

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-15-2009 11:29 AM
Baby Roo Offline

Hey there Jay,

Still got the Bates - She's still smokin. Did you make the big change and hang up the big pit?

I hope all is well with you two - I hope to chat again next time we're out on the field.

Congrats in your smokin' - keep it up brother.

Phil

Baby Roos BBQ
01-17-2009 03:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baby Roo Offline

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I thought I would ghive a brief overview of the outcome.

The bottom line is we went belly-up and this was not the type of event to sell food.

We were next to the beer garden (which I thought would be a good location). Saturday, the first day of the event, the beer garden was closed. This put us WAY in the back with not much going on around us. IF we were at a different location we MIGHT have done better.

Sunday after the 10K run - nobody is eating much. They (the runners) were able to have free fruit, free protien Bars, free juice and two free beers... and then rush home to watch the Super Bowl! Nothing more to be said.

We offered a nice chicken salad and two sandwiches with salw & beans (pictures available if you wish)

Live and learn - I suppose.

I will do MORE homework and be very picky of the event next time.

Thanks for listening and for the support.

Phil

Baby Roos BBQ
02-09-2009 02:24 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sorry to hear that Phil, its happens to a lot of us... One thing you can do next time, is ask the promoter/organizer, for the names of the past vendors that have been there before. There is always a reason for last years vendor not to be there.

Hope the next one goes better

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-10-2009 08:45 AM
allanon Offline

Yes indeed sorry to hear that it didn't go too well for you.

Baby Roo;p="13355 Wrote:There will be a beer garden and all runners will be given two tickets for two free beers.

I have to admit though that the phrase beer garden and runners don't usually go hand in hand. I'd be really surpised if the majority of the runners drank the beer. As an avid runner myself I've been avoiding carbonation for quite sometime. Avoiding Q ... thats a whole other story Wink.

--------------------------------------

When they're smokin' they're cookin' when they're black they're done!
02-10-2009 12:32 PM
Baby Roo Offline

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was suprised to see them drinking beer after a 10K! I have a photo I can email to you that will blow your mind to the amount of people drinking all around me BUT not eating...I understand I suppose...

Phil

Baby Roos BBQ
02-10-2009 06:27 PM